Friday, December 5, 2014

God’s Glory

The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us; just as the roof of a sunhouse does not attract the sun because it is bright, but becomes bright because the son shines on it.  C.S. Lewis

Do you ever think of God’s Glory as a physical thing that you could see? 
  
It has always fascinated me that Moses asked God to show him His glory.  The thing is Moses couldn’t look at God’s face as He passed by because as God told him; “You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me, and live.” Moses only got to see God’s back as he passed by.

The only way I can think of to describe God’s Glory is like this.  You know when you go to the eye doctor and they dilate your eyes.  That is what I think it would be like to see God as Moses did.  It would be painful to just see a glimpse of Him just as when your eyes are dilated you can’t see when you walk out into the light. 

If as in Matthew 5:16 it says to “Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father who is in heaven” the goal of my life on earth should be to live it so that when people get to know me they will say, “God is Glorious.”

How do we do that?  How do we live in such a way that other people in the world will see God instead of us?  If we let pride get in our way, then we will take credit for anything good that happens in our life.  If we have a road sign that points to God each time we treat another person with kindness; other people will see God instead of us.  What happens is we don’t take credit for God living in us.  We point others to God as the source of our joy.  I have joy through my tragedy only because He lives in me. 

Have you ever met someone who had so much tragedy in their life, but still managed to reflect joy in the midst of their trials?  That is what looking at God’s glory is all about.  Jesus entire life on earth was spent showing others God’s glory.  Our life should be the same.    

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, You live in me and I want to reflect You.  Give me the light of You and help me to point others to You when they ask how can I be joyful during trials and tragedy.  I want others to see the Glory of You in everything I do.   
      

Scripture: The Promise of God’s Presence


Then Moses said to the Lord, “See, You say to me, ‘Bring up this people.’ But You have not let me know whom You will send with me. Yet You have said, ‘I know you by name, and you have also found grace in My sight.’ Now therefore, I pray, if I have found grace in Your sight, show me now Your way, that I may know You and that I may find grace in Your sight. And consider that this nation is Your people.”


And He said, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”


Then he said to Him, “If Your Presence does not go with us, do not bring us up from here. For how then will it be known that Your people and I have found grace in Your sight, except You go with us? So we shall be separate, Your people and I, from all the people who are upon the face of the earth.”


So the Lord said to Moses, “I will also do this thing that you have spoken; for you have found grace in My sight, and I know you by name.”


And he said, “Please, show me Your glory.”


Then He said, “I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.” But He said, “You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me, and live.” And the Lord said, “Here is a place by Me, and you shall stand on the rock. So it shall be, while My glory passes by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock, and will cover you with My hand while I pass by. Then I will take away My hand, and you shall see My back; but My face shall not be seen.”


Hebrews 1:3

God’s Son has all the brightness of God’s own glory and is like him in every way. By his own mighty word, he holds the universe together.

After the Son had washed away our sins, he sat down at the right side of the glorious God in heaven.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment