Friday, December 12, 2014

Passwords
There are two hundred and fifty-six names given in the Bible for the Lord Jesus Christ, and I suppose this was because He was infinitely beyond all that any one name could express.  Billy Sunday

Do you ever get tired of passwords?  I was going to go out and buy some tunes on iTunes last night.  What should have taken a few minutes turned into an hour and I must say I can never remember my Apple ID.  And since I am now in the “Cloud” that password is different. I keep getting a warning on my phone that tells me it has been 6 weeks since my “iCloud” has been backed up and then it asks me for a password I don’t remember.  Do I care?  Not really.  I am not sure what secure information it is trying to back up anyway.  My only concern at this point is that I can dial 911 when I need it. 

Does anyone else have this problem besides me? I had to change my password three times before it would accept it and there is no guarantee it will accept it the next time I try it.  I even did the most unsecure thing you can do; I wrote my new password on a piece of paper so I wouldn’t forget it.  I mean I needed at least eight characters, one capital letter, one lower case letter, one symbol and it couldn’t be a password I had used before.  Prior to this I tried to go to my security questions to retrieve it and when it asked me my birthday it didn’t accept that either.  The final straw that broke the camel’s back was it only gave me two tries before it totally locked me out. 

I understand the need for security, but seriously.  I mean, if I don’t know my birthday who does?  You would have thought I was trying to break into Fort Knox.

I leave for work this morning and I have a code to get into my car, a password to get into my iPhone to listen to the tunes I bought on iTunes.  Since I am in the “Cloud” I also have a password to get into my email on my phone.  I stop to get gas and I have to enter my pin for my credit card and once I am at work I have a key card to get into the office, different passwords to get into my computer, Brix, Lotus, the Intranet, Buzzsaw and any number of other software programs that I use for work. 

I am beginning to think the Internet and technology isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. I spend more time trying to get into the programs I use at work than I actually spend working.  Then there are those reminders that your password is going to expire in 2 days.  That just throws me into a panic.  What will I use this time that has 8 characters, one cap, one lower case, one symbol and hasn’t been used before?  I’ve already used my dog’s name, my husband’s, my neighbor’s address, my nephew’s birthday. I’m beginning to run out of options.  
    
Then I had an epiphany.  I am going to use the one thing that doesn’t need a password “the Bible”.  If I use names in the Bible I will never run out of passwords and when I go look up my new password, I can study about the person’s name I will use and that will remind me what my new password is and the added benefit is I will be spending more time with God.  Bonus!!
 
I am so glad we had this talk.  I feel so much better.  I got all of that off my chest and came up with a naming convention for future passwords.  God is Great and God is Good! 
    
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, You are never far from my thoughts.  Sometimes things of this world frustrate me.  We humans have a tendency to make things extremely complicated when it doesn’t need to be.  Thank You for Your gift of the Bible.  It is the greatest Book ever written and I don’t need a password to access it. 
      

Scripture: The Value of Wisdom

My son, if you receive my words, and treasure my commands within you, so that you incline your ear to wisdom, and apply your heart to understanding; Yes, if you cry out for discernment, and lift up your voice for understanding, if you seek her as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasures; then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding; He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk uprightly; He guards the paths of justice, and preserves the way of His saints. Then you will understand righteousness and justice, equity and every good path. Proverbs 2:1-9

No comments:

Post a Comment