Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Plastic Bags

Men have presented their plans and philosophies for the remedying of earth's ills, but Jesus stands alone in presenting not a system, but His own personality as capable of supplying the needs of the soul.  A.C. Dixon

This morning I stopped at the in and out, quick gas station, (names have been changed for the protection of the innocent).  As I placed my purchases on the counter the guy asked me if I wanted a bag and before I could say yes he proceeded to tell me that as of January 1, 2015,  I would have to pay a nickel for every bag.  I thought he was joking.  He wasn’t.  When I figured out that he was serious, in my head I was thinking “Seriously”.  You are going to charge me for a bag? 

I’ll admit I am not the best recycler.  I realize there is a lot of trash in the world and we generate a lot of it.  What I want to know is has anyone done a study to see how much it costs each person to recycle?  Since I live in Dallas County if you don’t bring your own bag as of January you will be charged a nickel by the store you frequent for each bag if you don’t want to juggle your purchases to the car.

The following is an example of what Retailers must do in our area to offer single-use bags to customers.  Any comment in parentheses is my own.  This is actually on one City’s website:


1.     Register electronically or if you need to register using a paper form you can click on a link to the website, print the form (and then use 49 cents to mail it.)
2.     Retailers must assess a five-cent environmental fee for each single use bag; (but bless the government’s heart), this fee won’t be subject to sales tax.
3.     Print the total number of bags and fee on each receipt.  (I wonder how long it takes each retailer to reprogram their computers to assess the fee.)
4.     Keep records available for inspectors.  (Inspectors needed to be hired for this whole program.)
5.     Post signs in controlled parking lots reminding customers to bring their bags. (pay for signs in parking lots)
6.     Post signs in the store, within six feet of each register, per the ordinance. (they are generous enough to provide a paper sign that you can print from the website.)
Note: Retailers offering only reusable bags, as defined by the ordinance, have different requirements.

Customers have a whole different set of rules.  Customers are encouraged to “bring your bag” and “keep your change”.  (As opposed to what?  I don’t know what you do with your change, but I certainly don’t leave it at the register.  They already have their hand in my pocket for this whole “buy your bag” concept).

“Reusable bags” do not have the environmental fee, though the stores may charge customers to offset costs.  (So now I am paying for the inspector and the signs. So the retailers can offset the cost of the bag ban by charging me more). They go on to tell you what the reusable bags can be made of and I love this statement.  “However, any bag you bring with you to use is considered reusable since you are reusing it.” Duh!

Have you ever considered what it costs each person who recycles to comply with the rules and regulations of various city ordinances on recycling?  If you have to rinse your plastics and sort them into different containers, shouldn’t the city be paying the customer for doing such a great job of cleaning and sorting their trash? 

There are a few exemptions from this single-use bag program.  My favorite is “Single-use plastic bags used by restaurants to take away prepared food only where necessary to prevent moisture damage from soups, sauces, gravies or dressings.”

Finally, they give you a tip: “Remember to recycle the bags you can recycle appropriately.”

I then stopped at Starbucks and as I checked out, I asked the lady at the counter if they were going to start charging for bags.  She said no.  I said well I just came from a store that is.  She then said, “I know Dallas County has a new ordinance.”  I said well the other store I went to is in Collin County.   Maybe I shouldn’t have brought up the whole recycling thing.

I really don’t have anything against recycling.  I think we all generate a lot of trash and we should be responsible in how we dispose of it.  God created this world that we live in and He expects us to take care of it and as such, we are the earth’s stewards and trustees.  However, I do get tired of City’s with a budget crisis, passing the expense on to me. 
 
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, You gave us the earth and we are to be good stewards of it.  Help me to be a good trustee of all Your creation.  I don’t have all the answers, but I do know You will give me answers if I ask. I am not sure why this recycle thing about paying for bags bothered me.  Sometimes we make something simple, extremely complicated.  I want to do what honors You.  
  

Scripture: We don’t worship the earth; instead, we realize that God gave it to us, and we are accountable to Him for how we use it. After creating Adam, the first man, the Bible says, “The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it” (Genesis 2:15). God didn’t tell him to exploit the world or treat it recklessly, but to watch over it and use it wisely. Like a good ruler, we should seek the welfare of everything God entrusts to us—including the creation. The Bible says, “A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal” (Proverbs 12:10).  Billy Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment