Monday, January 5, 2015

911

What you can't go through, God will help you fly over.  Woodrow Krull

I am running late this morning with my devotional.  I was driving to work writing my devotional in my head, when I pulled up behind someone at a stop light.  The light changed to green and all the cars in the other two lanes took off but the car in front of me just sat there.  I admit I thought the person in front of me was texting so I honked.  He didn’t move, so I honked again.  He still didn’t move.  Then it hit me.  This person might be having a medical emergency. 

So I pulled into the right lane next to the car and looked over and the person looked like he was having a seizure.  There were no cars around since it was 6:00 am, so I immediately grabbed my phone and dialed 911.  I will say that I was slightly panicked.  I could have used my voice control in my car, but instead I started flipping through my phone to call. 

As I sat there talking to the dispatcher, the man in the car became alert again, but then he started driving.  That scared me even more.  So I start following the car while I am talking to the dispatcher.  The man would weave over the line and then get back in his lane.  I am not sure where the police are at 6:00am but they weren’t where I was.  I continued to follow the car, giving the dispatcher every street we crossed.  I followed the man so far that I was able to give them the make and model of the car and the color.  I asked the dispatcher if she wanted me to continue following him.  She said yes as long as it was safe.  

I drove so far that I ended up in Frisco and she had to call Frisco police.  I don’t know anything about Frisco except that it is north.  Way north.  The man finally pulls into a turn lane.  I glance over to see where he is going and it was a hospital in Frisco.  I was so thankful.  I was thanking God that he didn’t hit anyone or run a red light as we probably drove 20 miles with me following him.  I’m just thankful I didn’t end up in Oklahoma.

As the dispatcher thanked me and told me they would send someone to check on him, it reminded me of calling 911.   If you have a car like mine with voice capabilities, you can punch one button on the steering wheel and say 911 and the car does the calling for you.  Or if you are in a panic like I was, you can fumble for your cell phone and flip though the buttons. 

Who do you call in an emergency?  I’ll admit when I looked over at the man in the car and realized he was having a medical issue, God wasn’t the first one to come to mind.  But when I was on the phone with the dispatcher, I calmed down enough to thank God.  I thanked Him for giving me a heart to help others.  I could have been like the four other cars that passed this gentleman and left him sitting at the light.  When you have emergencies in your life who do you turn to?  We have the most amazing Resource and we don’t always turn to Him in a crisis.  Call on Him in every crisis.  He is waiting on your call. 

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I pray that you will heal the gentleman from this morning’s incident.   I admit I sort of panicked.  All kinds of scenarios ran through my head before I calmed down.  Thank You for being there for me in any crisis I face.  You are my 911.  The only help I will ever need in times of trouble.  Your grace is sufficient.  Finally, thank you for giving me parents who taught me to help others.  That is one of the most amazing gifts. 

Scripture: And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.  2 Corinthians 12:9-10


 

No comments:

Post a Comment