Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Near Misses

A state of mind that sees God in everything is evidence of growth in grace and a thankful heart.  Charles Finney

The Bible tells us that whenever we come before God, whatever our purpose or prayer request, we are always to come with a thankful heart.  David Jeremiah

I was sitting at home Sunday evening working at my computer when I heard a crash and then tires squealing in the front of our house.  I jumped up, ran to the door and threw it open.  There was a truck sitting in our front yard.  That wouldn’t be odd if we had a driveway in front of our house, but we don’t.  As I watched another large vehicle is pulling away.  It was clanging and I could hear metal scraping on pavement. 

I didn’t stand there for long.  I ran back inside and called 911.  Have you ever noticed that when you are in your pajamas and an emergency happens, you can’t find a thing to wear?  I couldn’t find my tennis shoes or socks, and shirts and jeans eluded me. I was kind of like a deer in headlights.  My dog was running around following me trying to figure out what I was doing.  I didn’t know what I was doing, so how could I explain it to my dog.  I finally got myself together and went outside.  When I stepped out every neighbor in our vicinity was standing in the yard. I guess they didn’t have the problems I had finding something to wear. 

There was a big dodge truck sitting on our front lawn.  We finally pieced together that someone came through our neighborhood driving a hummer; missed 15 cars and other assorted vehicles parked on either side of the street and hit the truck parked across the street two houses down from us.  The squealing tires I heard was the guy driving the hummer trying to get away.  He actually pushed the truck up into our yard and then drove away. 

My husband was at his favorite restaurant watching the football game with friends, so I called him and told him he needed to come home.  I guess I didn’t explain myself well; because he translated my statement “Someone hit a truck and it is in our front yard”, to “Someone hit a truck and it is yours and it’s in our front yard.” 

So he comes racing home and passes a car in a field 10 or so blocks from our house.  There is also a police car there so my husband stops to tell the policeman that someone hit a car in front of our house, but the policeman wasn’t in his car.  Unbeknownst to my husband; this policeman was chasing the guy that put the truck in our front yard. 

So my husband pulls up at the house and asks me what happened to his truck.  I said nothing happened to your truck.  Do you see why communication is so important in relationships? He says, “I thought you said someone hit my truck and it’s in our front yard.”  I said “No honey; that is definitely not your truck on our lawn.” 

After we got all that conversation straightened out, we waited for the police to come back.  The guy who ran was drunk and had drugs in the vehicle so he was arrested.  A wrecker showed up and pulled the truck off our lawn.  Right now you are asking what did I learn from this experience and I’m also thinking you wish you lived in my neighborhood. 

I learned that my husband and I are blessed.  The truck missed hitting my husband’s truck and the other neighbor’s car by a few feet.  It went between them.  The young man whose truck was hit had just gotten out and went inside before it was hit.  In 20 minutes I met every neighbor I didn’t know within a 4 house radius.  I also learned that God saves us from near misses every day and many times we don’t even realize it.  We also don’t often take the time to thank Him for what He does for us.  When I think about what could have happened; it makes me more thankful. 

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am thankful for You. There are times in my life where I don’t even realized you saved me from some tragedy.  Thank you for sending Your Son who did the ultimate to save me.  I am forever grateful.  
        

Scripture: A Song of Praise for the Lord’s Faithfulness to His People


Make a joyful shout to the Lord, all you lands! Serve the Lord with gladness; Come before His presence with singing.  Know that the Lord, He is God; It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.



Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name. For the Lord is good; His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endures to all generations.  Psalm 100:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment