Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Singing His Praises

God loves to hear your singing - so sing.  Rod Parsley

Music was in my life growing up.  My Mom played the piano and there was always a song that I loved to hear her play.  I think it was called “In the Mood” by Glenn Miller.  To this day I can see my Mom sitting down at her piano and breaking into that tune.  I would always ask her to play it again. 

I never took lessons of any kind on any instrument nor did I have any special singing or vocal lessons; although I do remember taking chorus in grade school with Ms. Lovett.  She was not the friendliest teacher but she was the only music teacher they had in my school so every one of us kids had chorus with her.  The one thing I do know is I love to sing.  I am not always in key or in tune but I love to sing.  When we drove to church we sang to the radio.  We sang in church and on the way home.  We had one of those big box stereos with a turn table for albums and records.  We would go in our living room and put on our very own performances to the masses of none. 

We would go to my grandmother’s house and she had a stereo similar to ours.  I grew up in the era of Boots Randolph, The Statler Brothers and John Denver and songs like “These Boots Were Made for Walking.  Tom T Hall sang Sneaky Snake that went something like this: (Boys and girls take warning, "If you go near the lake, keep your eyes wide open and look for sneaky snake, now maybe you won't see him and maybe you won't hear, but he'll sneak up behind you and drink all your root beer.) An absolute classic.

Then there were classics like Roger Millers’ “You Can’t Rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd” or how about “Burma Shave”. 

My favorite songs are the old hymns that I learned growing up.  I still remember all the words to those songs.  Amazing Grace, Just a Little Walk With Jesus, Count Your Blessings and Faith Is the Victory.  Then there was one of my grandmother’s favorites, In the Garden.  We sang How Great Thou Art, In the Sweet By and By and I Surrender All. 

One of my favorite memories was when my grandfather passed away.  He was in hospice care and my Mom, sister’s, cousin and Aunt all drove in my sister’s van to Austin to see him right before he died.  We sang hymns all the way from Houston to Austin.  As I watched my grandfather take his last breath I remembered the praises we sang. 

Here’s the thing.  “When the Roll Is Called Up Yonder” I want to be there.  “Softly and Tenderly Jesus is Calling” for each of us to come to Him.  “What a Day That Will Be” “When We All Get to Heaven.   Take a moment to look back at the old hymns.  I can’t wait to be “In the Sweet By and By.  Sing His Praises!


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I love to sing Your praises with the old hymns that I grew up with as a child.  You are worthy of my praise for saving a poor wretch like me.  One day every knee will bow and we will all sing praises to our Heavenly Father.  I sing now for You.  
     

Scripture: Make a joyful shout to God, all the earth! Sing out the honor of His name; Make His praise glorious.  Say to God, “How awesome are Your works! Through the greatness of Your power Your enemies shall submit themselves to You. All the earth shall worship You and sing praises to You; they shall sing praises to Your name.”  Psalm 66:1-4

No comments:

Post a Comment