Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Loving Others

Loving others in a biblical manner involves your thoughts, words, and actions and is a sign of your being a disciple of Christ. 

Loving others biblically is dependent on your commitment to the Lord Jesus Christ and is not dependent on people, circumstances, or your feelings. John C. Broger


I need to confess.  Yesterday I was not very loving toward another person.  It was not one of my better moments.  Being a Christian means we are to love others as God loves us.  I admit I let a long day, frustration and anger get in the way of treating another person with love.  Here’s the story.

Yesterday morning I called Walmart to refill a prescription.  When I entered the number the electronic voice told me there was an issue with my prescription and that I needed to call the pharmacy.  When they opened I called.  I spoke with the pharmacist who told me they could fill my prescription as I requested.  Later in the morning I received two text messages letting me know the prescriptions were ready to pick up. 

After work I drive to Walmart and get in line.  I admit my heart rate goes up when I pull into the pharmacy.  There have been so many incidents where they didn’t fill my prescription correctly or didn’t have any in stock, or claim they didn’t receive the request after I’ve spoken on the phone with a live person that anxiety fills me driving up. 

There are three cars in front of me and three more in the next lane over and more pulling in behind me.  I pick a lane and wait.  When I get up to the window I ask the woman if they filled my prescription the way I requested.  She said no.  I then tell her that I spoke with the pharmacist that morning and he assured me it would be filled. She then says, “the pharmacist gets busy and doesn’t always follow up”.  She then tells me that I need to pull out of line and get back in line again so they can have time to fill it the way I requested.  Here is the unloving part.  I told her I wasn’t getting out of line and waiting another hour in the same line I just waited in.  She then went and got another woman and she tells me “Ma’am, you need to be courteous to other customers who are waiting and pull around and get back in line.” 

I guess they could have called the police to remove me from the Walmart line.  I could just hear the 911 call now.  “We have a woman in line at the pharmacy who won’t get out of line and get back in line.” 

At this point I was trying real hard to channel Jesus but it wasn’t working.  I didn’t yell but I calmly told her I was not leaving until I received the prescriptions I ordered that morning.  If they wanted to refill the other portion of my prescription I would come back another time for it, but I wasn’t leaving until I received what I ordered that morning.  The irony is that, (I timed it), one minute later she comes back to the window and tells me the missing portion of my prescription is ready. 

I confess, I allowed frustration, my long day, (I leave my house at 5:30am and don’t return until 6:00pm, if I don’t go to the pharmacy), to color my attitude when dealing with another person.  It wasn’t pretty and it wasn’t what God would want me to do. If I am being more like Jesus, I need to work on me.  My treatment of others shouldn’t be dependent on my mood, feelings or outside circumstances. 

I ask each of you to pray for me that I will be a more loving Christian and that I become more like Jesus.  

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I blew it yesterday.  I didn’t do a good job of reflecting who You are to another person.  Help me to value others as much as You value me.  I need your help to extend grace to others.  Keep me from allowing emotions, feelings and frustrations to color my interactions with others.  I want to love as Jesus loved.  I can’t do that if I can’t control what I say and do to others.  I praise You for your mercy on a sinner like me.  I don’t deserve it, but I pray for it with everything in me.   
        

Scripture: Which Is the First Commandment of All?

But when the Pharisees heard that He had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”


Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment.  And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”  Matthew 22:34-40

No comments:

Post a Comment