Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Distractions

Christ choosing solitude for private prayer, doth not only hint to us the danger of distraction and deviation of thoughts in prayer, but how necessary it is for us to choose the most convenient places we can for private prayer. Our own fickleness and Satan's restlessness call upon us to get into such places where we may freely pour out our soul into the bosom of God [Mark 1.35].  Thomas Brooks

Do you ever get distracted by daily life?  You may get tired of hearing about the stupid things I do, but these everyday distractions often help remind me of God and they often get me back on track and thinking of Him.

Yesterday I stopped at Starbucks.  There is one on my way to work so I see some of the same cars and people at this one.  There is always this one gentleman who is sitting at a table reading.  I went in and made a purchase.  When I was on my way out I walked out the door and was putting my credit card back in my wallet, (distracted), so I wasn’t really paying attention to the vehicles parked in front of the store.  Since there were only two cars parked in the whole lot, it shouldn’t be hard to find mine.

Well, since I was busy putting my credit card in my wallet, I just walked up to the first car I came to and grabbed the handle and opened the door.  I will say that I had already clicked the unlock on my key so being able to open the door wasn’t an issue.  As I went to get in I looked down and the color of the interior was different.  I thought, “Man, I didn’t know my seats were this color.”  I also have a cover on my seat to protect it and the cover was gone. Then I thought, “Man this car sure does sit low.”   

Then it hit me.  This wasn’t my car.  The first thing that crossed my mind was, “who leaves their car unlocked” these days".  I mean, there is always someone out there waiting to steal it.  Then there was the embarrassed part where I wondered if the guy who owns the car sitting in Starbucks realized I was trying to get into his car. 

I admit I started laughing.  Then I thought about God and I really do think He has an amazing sense of humor. He probably sits up there watching us do some really stupid stuff and just shakes His head.  He created us in His image and we often aren’t a good representation of Him.  The amazing thing is, He still cares enough to want us to get back on track and be better.  The distractions of life can either get in the way of our relationship with Him or draw us closer to Him. 

Jesus is our best example of not being distracted.  His sole purpose on earth was to save us.  He didn’t let distractions get in the way of His purpose.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I was distracted yesterday and almost got into someone else’s car.  When I am distracted I can often miss opportunities to spend time with you.  I want to be more focused on You.  Thank You for loving me enough to keep pursuing me.  When I stray toward doing something stupid, help point me in Your direction. 
    

Scripture: Preaching in Galilee


Now in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, He went out and departed to a solitary place; and there He prayed. And Simon and those who were with Him searched for Him. When they found Him, they said to Him, “Everyone is looking for You.”


But He said to them, “Let us go into the next towns that I may preach there also, because for this purpose I have come forth.”

And He was preaching in their synagogues throughout all Galilee, and casting out demons.  Mark 1:35-39

No comments:

Post a Comment