Friday, January 23, 2015

Guarantee & Warranty

1.     Guarantee: a formal pledge to pay another person's debt or to perform another person's obligation in the case of default.
2.     Warranty: (in contract law) a promise that something in furtherance of the contract is guaranteed by one of the contractors, especially the seller's promise that the thing being sold is as promised or represented.

Have you ever looked at Jesus’ life and considered that we each received a guarantee and warranty for His death on the cross?

Jesus knew that when He set foot on the earth He would die a horrible death.  Can you imagine being born and when you reached the age where you understood what it means to die; that you would be called upon to be beaten, nailed to a cross and hung until you took your last breath?  When I look at Jesus’ life from that perspective I find myself the biggest and weakest coward of all. I know I wouldn’t have handled that well.  They would have had to drag me kicking and screaming to that cross.  The irony of it is Jesus did none of those things.

When I think of the love that Jesus showed during His short time on earth it is humbling. To know and understand that every step you took was going to mean you would take on the sin of the world and each step moved you toward an agonizing death, I have a feeling I would wimp out. 

Jesus died to save us.  He brought us back into relationship with our Heavenly Father so that we could have eternal life.  Jesus’ guarantee was that he paid our debt and took the obligation of that debt upon Himself.  He took responsibility for our sin. 

Jesus’ death also came with a promise or warranty.  He promised that if we believe and obey the One who sent Him we would have eternal life.

Why do we find it so difficult to follow Him?  Maybe because we don’t believe in His warranty and guarantee that cost Him His life.


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am humbled by Jesus Your Son.  What an extraordinary sacrifice.  He gave His life for us and often we dishonor Him by rejecting the very thing that gave us the opportunity to have eternal life.  Forgive me because I know I don’t always do a good job of representing You or obeying You.  Help me to love others as Jesus did.  I am grateful for Your mercy on me.    
     

Scripture: Jesus Again Predicts His Death and Resurrection


Now while they were staying in Galilee, Jesus said to them, “The Son of Man is about to be betrayed into the hands of men, and they will kill Him, and the third day He will be raised up.” And they were exceedingly sorrowful. Matthew 17:22-23

No comments:

Post a Comment