Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Seekers of the Truth

When we help seekers diagnose which path they're treading, assist them in avoiding its pitfalls, and expose them to the logic and evidence that uniquely support the Christian faith, we're introducing them to the only spiritual option that truly qualifies to be called the way, the truth, and the life.  Lee Strobel


Did you know there are 309 uses of the word seek in the Bible?  I was thinking about why there were so many instances of it listed.  Why would God want us to seek or search for Him?  Eternal life is the answer. 


I remember back when I was in college I had courses that I really didn’t like.  All I wanted to do was get through them with a passing grade.  I was always thankful when a professor would give us the information that would be on the test, because it would tell me where I needed to study the most or what I needed to focus my attention on. 


So if there are more than 300 instances of seek in the Bible, it reminds me of those long ago professors who pointed us in the direction of where to spend our study time.  If I put this in perspective with the importance of the Bible, then I should be seeking God each and every day. 


What often happens is we depend on others to seek for us.  We become spectators instead of seekers.  Instead of digging into the Word as if it were priceless treasure, we depend on our Pastor, or friends and acquaintances to tell us what we should do.  If we are ever going to have a relationship with God that matters, we need to be seeking Him every day.

  

In Deuteronomy 4:29 Moses tells the people “But from there you will seek the Lord your God, and you will find Him if you seek Him with all your heart and with all your soul.” This was the best advice he could have given to the people entering the Promised Land.  This advice is also still the best for anyone in this generation.  Are you seeking God with all your heart and soul?  You will find Him if you seek Him.


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, the more I read the Bible the more I learn about Your amazing love and grace.  Keep me focused on You and Your Word.  You tell me if I seek first Your kingdom and Your righteousness, all these things will be added to me.   Thank you for giving me a heart that wants to seek You.   


Scripture: The Lord also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. And those who know Your name will put their trust in You; for You, Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You. Psalm 9:9-10


“Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.  Matthew 6:31-34

No comments:

Post a Comment