Monday, June 15, 2015

Road Rubbish

Don't let obstacles along the road to eternity shake your confidence in God's promise. The Holy Spirit is God's seal that you will arrive.  David Jeremiah

A couple of weeks ago I was driving to work and I looked up and there was a tire smoking in the road.  I had just changed lanes out of the one with the burning tire, when I see smoke curling up from the road.  It was dark, so at first I didn’t know what it was.  As I passed it I thought about how many times I have seen strange things on the road during my drive to and from work.  I’ve seen a computer monitor fully intact.  I am not sure how that happened because if it fell from the back of a truck you would think since it is plastic and glass that it would break into a million pieces.  I’ve seen recliners, mattresses, tennis shoes, boots, rocking chairs, ladders, lawn mowers, couches, clothes and any number of odd things.  If you spend any time driving you are bound to see something unusual.  You are probably also thinking that I drive on a lot of trashy roads.  I think more likely than not, I am just the lucky one who is up early enough to see the stuff people don’t tie down in the back of their truck, and by the time an eighteen wheeler hits it, late risers won’t recognize what it was anyway. 

I have a rule about road rubbish.  If I see a vehicle that has something on top, hanging out, sitting in the back or tied to it, I either pass it or get out of that lane.  I’ve seen a metal bed frame that was supposedly tied down, fly out of the back of a truck and the truck was dragging it by the rope while sparks flew.  How do people not know they lost something?  I can understand if you lose a pillow, blanket or something else that is lightweight.  But if you lose a sofa, refrigerator or recliner; seriously?  If you are taking something you own for a ride and you lose it because it decides to jump ship mid-journey; at least call someone to give it a another ride to the nearest dump. 

Our lives are very much like this road rubbish.  If we don’t keep our eye on God we can run into all kinds of trouble.   Have you figured out that there is a lot of rubbish in this world?  When we take our eye off of God and the road in front of us, we can expect to eventually run into trouble.  Satan has a way of tripping us up when we least expect it. If we aren’t paying attention, before we know it we are in trouble.  Keep your eye on God and the path to Him, so that you can avoid all the rubbish that can get in the way.  


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I have seen a lot of weird stuff while driving.  I find that when I take my eye off the road, I stand a better chance of getting into trouble.  Keep me focused on You.  Life is difficult to navigate without You.         
      

Scripture: The Cost of Discipleship

Now it happened as they journeyed on the road, that someone said to Him, “Lord, I will follow You wherever You go.”

And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.”

Then He said to another, “Follow Me.”

But he said, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.”

Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and preach the kingdom of God.”

And another also said, “Lord, I will follow You, but let me first go and bid them farewell who are at my house.”


But Jesus said to him, “No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.”  Luke 9:57-62

No comments:

Post a Comment