Monday, June 29, 2015

THINK

Remember that the tongue speaks only what is in the heart.  Theodore Epp

Do you ever say things you wish you hadn’t said? I do it more times than I care to admit.  Yesterday our Pastor was talking about the tongue and about how damaging it can be to families and relationships.  Have you ever had someone say something hurtful to you and then they use the excuse “I am just speaking my mind” or how about “that’s just the way I am, I like to tell it like it is.”  The Bible says we are “responsible” for our words.  

One of the things he spoke about that really touched my heart was that God created each individual on this earth.  When God created us we were created in His likeness.  If we speak hurtful words to another person or talk to them harshly; we are speaking to one of God’s children so we are in fact speaking to God with our harsh words. 

The question he asked was “What is your stupid ratio?” If someone says something to you that hurts you, do you immediately respond with harsh or hurtful words?  Our stupid ratio goes up when we respond to others with harsh and hurtful words.  In Ephesians it says we should administer grace to others.  We will never show another person who God is if we don’t think first before we speak.

He gave a tool to use when we are faced with someone who has spoken harsh words to us.  Instead of responding in kind, stop and “THINK”.  Is what you are about to say, Truthful, Helpful, Inspirational, Necessary and Kind?  If we stop long enough to ask ourselves this question, most likely harsh or hurtful words will not come out of our mouth. If you think about it, most of the time what we say to another person is not necessary.  If the words that leave our mouth and pass our lips are not truthful, helpful, inspirational, necessary or kind; then they don’t need to be said at all.        

We should give life with our words.  The words we speak equal what is in our heart.  I think the most critical part of the work I need to do in my life is in my heart.  If my heart is filled with God’s love, grace and mercy, then I will not speak harshly to another person that God created.    


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, in my lifetime I have spoken harsh words to others that were not affirming or inspirational.  At those times I increased my stupid ratio.  Please fill me with your Holy Spirit and remind me when I start to speak, that I am speaking to another child of God.  Do a work in my heart so that those words never leave my mouth.        

Scripture: Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:29-32

No comments:

Post a Comment