Wednesday, June 10, 2015

What’s Mine Is Not Mine

I place no value on anything I have or may possess, except in relation to the kingdom of God. If anything will advance the interests of the kingdom, it shall be given away or kept, only as by giving or keeping it I shall most promote the glory of Him to whom I owe all my hopes in time or eternity.  David Livingstone

Do you ever think about what you think you own?  I read a story recently that illustrates how we should think about ownership and the things we have in this life.

“There was a man who took his son to McDonalds and bought him super-size French fries.  On the way home, the fries smelled so good that he reached over and took one French fry out of the son’s carton and ate it.  His son got upset and said, “Dad you can’t have that one.  These are my fries!”

Immediately, three things came to the dad’s mind. 
1.     My child has forgotten that I am the source of all fries.  I drove him to McDonalds to get the fries, I placed the order and I paid for the fries and I am driving him back home. The only reason he even has those fries is because of me, “the Great Fry Giver!”
2.     Second, my child doesn’t understand that I could take the fries away any time I want to.  Or I could buy him a whole truckload of fries because I have the power and resources to do so. 
3.     Third, I didn’t need his fries as I could easily get my own.  I just wanted him to learn to be unselfish.

The lessons in this story should speak to each of us about how we feel about the things we think we own.  If it were not for God we wouldn’t be here.  The talents God gave us allow us to work and in turn make a living from using those talents.  God is the source of everything we have.  The second lesson in this story is that everything we think we own can be taken away or if God chooses, He can double it because He has the power to do it.  The third lesson is that God doesn’t need what we have or accumulate.  His sole purpose in giving us what we have is to teach us to be generous with what we have.  In being generous we develop our faith in Him. 

If God has blessed you with much or blessed you with little, it can be used to be generous to others.  I think too many times we become so encumbered with the stuff we own that we don’t have time to be generous because we are too busy taking care of the things we think we own.  When I finally leave this world, nothing I think I own is going with me.  I won’t pack a bag, carry a purse or load up the car.  I’m the only thing that is going.  What will you take with you?  Will you take a lifetime of being generous to others or nothing?

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, too many times I am selfish with what You have given me.  You have blessed me beyond measure and I need to refocus my attention on using what you bless me with to help others.  That is the best way that others can see You through me.  Help me to be more generous in everything I do.  If my heart is in the right place, generosity will come naturally.      
      

Scripture:  The Cheerful Giver


But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work. As it is written:


“He has dispersed abroad,
He has given to the poor;
His righteousness endures forever.” 


Now may He who supplies seed to the sower, and bread for food, supply and multiply the seed you have sown and increase the fruits of your righteousness, while you are enriched in everything for all liberality, which causes thanksgiving through us to God. For the administration of this service not only supplies the needs of the saints, but also is abounding through many thanksgivings to God, while, through the proof of this ministry, they glorify God for the obedience of your confession to the gospel of Christ, and for your liberal sharing with them and all men, and by their prayer for you, who long for you because of the exceeding grace of God in you. Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!  2 Corinthians 8:6-15

No comments:

Post a Comment