Thursday, June 4, 2015

Who’s Watching?

You can operate your business without Christ. You can make it run well. You can raise your family without Christ. You can even pastor a church without Christ. But if you do, you will find that there will be no fruit, no Christlikeness, no manifestation of that beautiful character which arrests the attention of others. Instead there will be a sham, a phony imitation of the real thing, which will drive people away from Christ and will produce nothing but a dull, mechanical religiosity.  Ray C. Stedman

I was driving to work this morning and as I exited the tollway and ran through the gates of the toll reader, I glanced up and saw the camera that takes your photo as you exit.   Since I don’t work for the tollroad authority, I don’t understand why they need to take a picture of me driving through the booth.  I mean, they already have my license plate and phone number, my vehicle make and model and my credit card.  Why should they need a photo of me too? 

As I looked into the camera it made me think of how God is always watching us.  There is nothing we do that he doesn’t know about.  Then I thought about how God is sitting in the car with me when I call another driver an idiot because they cut off four people to get to an exit.  That’s called no preparation or not knowing where you are going. 

God is also there when I say something that hurts another person.  He is also there when I do my taxes, talk to my husband, when I am working and He sees how I treat co-workers.  How we act and speak makes a difference to God. 

If we were to think about this it might look something like this.  I have an extra chair in my office for guests.  What would happen if every time I sat down at my desk and looked at that chair, I saw Jesus sitting in it observing me?  How about when I get in my car in the morning or evening to go to and from work; if I looked over in the other seat or in the rearview mirror and saw Jesus sitting there would I act or live differently knowing he was there.

How many of us live two very different lifestyles every week.  The one we present at church and the one we present at home.  We want people to see us as good upstanding Christians; yet we live a very different life when we are in our jobs or at home. 

As I drove by that camera it reminded me that nothing I do is hidden from God.  He knows every sin I commit even though I can’t physically see Him.  Will you live your life differently knowing God is taking snapshots of how you live your life? Because the reality is; He is. 

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I don’t often do a good job of living my life.  I am often the great pretender.  Pretending to be something I’m not, when you know everything I do even though I can’t see You.  I am a sinner who fails over and over again.  Please help me to live my daily life filled with thoughts of you.  If I am living as I should; it shouldn’t matter if someone took pictures of my whole life.  The photo album of my life should reflect You and I want to live up to what You want me to be in this life.        
      

Scripture: The Outworking of Love

By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?


My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.  And by this we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him.  For if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things. Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment. 1 John 3:16-23



“Talk no more so very proudly; Let no arrogance come from your mouth, For the Lord is the God of knowledge; And by Him actions are weighed. 1 Samuel 2:3

No comments:

Post a Comment