Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Road Less Taken


The future lies before you, like paths of pure white snow. Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show. ~Author Unknown


When we were kids my brother and I spent a great deal of time in the summer riding horses.  We had a road that went by our house and circled around and came back out by our house.  The road had a side drive that cut over to the back of our property.

One day we were riding at a gallop (which means we were going pretty fast in horse terminology).  When we came around the corner and were getting ready to pass the road that led up to our property, unbeknownst to us, our horses decided they were ready to go home.  We came galloping around the corner and both horses turned into the road to go home and my brother and I didn't.  Now when you have your forward momentum going it makes it hard to stop and we didn't.  We both landed in the middle of the dirt road and the horses took off for greener pastures without us.  

There my brother and I sat in the middle of the dirt road looking at each other.  We assessed the damage, found there was none and then we both jumped up and took off running to chase down our horses.  You never wanted your horse to beat you home with no rider because then Mom would come looking for you. 

God gives us a path to follow and we can choose to stay on that path or we can detour.  When we detour trouble is bound to follow.  People as well as things can derail us from our purpose here on earth.  In this life the road less taken is sometimes the one we should be taking.   

Prayer for the Day: Father, I want to stay on the path you have chosen for me.  Please help me to keep my focus on you so that I won't end up taking a detour that could take me off course.  Help me to make every step count and worthy of following.

Scripture: No one who hopes in you will ever be put to shame, but shame will come to those who are treacherous without cause.  Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths.  Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.  Psalm 25:3-5


 

No comments:

Post a Comment