Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Perfection & Patience

When you aim for perfection, you discover it's a moving target. ~George Fisher


Do you ever strive for perfection?  It's kind of discouraging isn't it.  Because there is always someone who will come along and let you know that whatever you are striving for is not perfect.  So you struggle some more to try to make it perfect again. 

I learned a huge lesson this week in striving for perfection and patience.  If you have ever done home improvements you know what I am talking about.  We decided to replace our bathroom counter and sink this weekend.  As life happens, several weeks ago our disposal went out so we also decided to replace the countertops and sink along with the disposal.  

This is how it went.  Get off at 3:00pm on Friday and run to Seconds and Surplus to purchase bathroom counter.  Run home and unload said counter then move it into the bathroom to see how it looks.  Admire how it will look once installed. 

Saturday run by Home Depot to get miscellaneous stuff to install plumbing.  Determine that sink is not aligned with plumbing so back to Home Depot.  Start to install said plumbing and realize the connector is missing a flange.  (You notice I have picked up the plumbing lingo).  Determine that the back of the cabinet doesn't quite fit over the existing plumbing.  Call Dad for advice.  Husband goes back to Home Depot while Dad heads over to help measure and cut out the back of the cabinet to fit the plumbing. Determine that this is getting more complicated by the second so decide to start again Sunday afternoon.

Sunday afternoon, trip to Home Depot again for missing part.  Forgot glue so back to Home Depot.  While there go to the countertop department to see what it will take to replace counters.  Find the perfect counters, go back home to only determine that the window behind the kitchen sink is recessed and unable to use standard countertop.  Visit with countertop designer to determine that the countertop will have to be a special order. $$$$$$

Go back home install the plumbing parts to the bathroom sink.  Turn the water on.  More water leaking out of the plumbing than the amount of water coming out of the faucet.  Dad calls.  Discuss plumbing again and the failure of the first installation.  Determine that we will get as many parties together (4 heads are better than 2 or so I've heard) on Monday to see if we can redo the plumbing. 

Monday back to Home Depot and then to Lowe's for a part that is not available.  While Dad and Jerry redo the plumbing in the bathroom, my Mom and I go to Floors & Decor to look at tile to lay on the existing countertop.  Confusion set in here more so than with the plumbing because I have never seen so many tiles in one building in my life.  Select tile and accessories.  By 7:00pm plumbing is done and we are looking at the most beautiful cabinet with faucets that work and plumbing that doesn't leak.  By the way I also figured out that they make enough PVC to circle the globe on this one project.  (Just kidding).  I do know that I have enough receipts from Home Depot, Lowes and Floors & Decor to paper the walls in my bathroom and enough extra parts to redo my second bathroom.

As a side note Mom and I were able to complete the kitchen countertop on one side of my kitchen by Monday night with only 4 trips to Floors & Decor.  They make this great stuff that allows you to lay tile and grout all in one day.

What did I learn from all of this? That it takes patience to do anything in life because you will always need more of it and the patience we needed to complete these projects was only a fraction of the patience that God has with us.  The other thing I reinforced in my mind was the fact that I am a very imperfect person living in an imperfect world and loved by a perfect God.  I will never be perfect, everything I do will never be perfect, but the God of the universe is perfect in every way and I can scale mountains when I take refuge in Him.



Prayer for the Day: Father, I am so amazed by your patience with me.  I fail daily, yet you still love me.  Please help me to remember that I will never be perfect but keep me striving to be more like You every day. 

Scripture:  2 Samuel 22:30-32  With your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall. “As for God, his way is perfect: The Lord’s word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him.  For who is God besides the Lord? And who is the Rock except our God? 2 Samuel 22:30-32 

No comments:

Post a Comment