Monday, June 4, 2012

Anger

Anger ventilated often hurries toward forgiveness; and concealed often hardens into revenge. ~Edward G. Bulwer-Lyttonfaith


I was driving through my neighborhood this morning on my way to work and one of my neighbors down the road must be angry at his neighbor.  The reason I know this is because one side of his lawn is roped off and hanging on the rope every few feet are signs stating "Private Property".  As I was driving I was thinking about what the neighbor next door had done to cause the anger and what would cause the neighbor to make such a public announcement to everyone driving by.  Did the neighbor walk on the guys grass, did he mow too far over into his yard and cut the grass too short, did his neighbors St Augustine grass grow over into the neighbors Bermuda? 

Sometimes we get angry over silly stuff that when it comes down to it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.  I am ashamed to admit that I got angry this weekend and the worst part is it was over something silly.  My husband parked in the middle of our driveway so that I couldn't get my car in the driveway without parking on the grass.  He wasn't expecting me back home so early so he just pulled in and parked.  The silly thing is, he didn't do it intentially which means that it was pretty small of me to get angry with him over it. 

I think we need to slow down and think before we speak because as the scripture below says, "it will lead to evil".  I want to start thinking before I speak in anger.  I want to stop myself before I get angry over something that will not make a difference to my eternal life.  Because isn't that what this life on earth is all about.  Do you want to get to heaven and instead of God saying "Well done my good and faithful servant"  He may say, "Why did you get angry about not being able to park in the driveway" or "why did you not love your neighbor instead of letting all the neighborhood know you were angry by hanging private property signs around the yard".  


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I sometimes allow anger to invade my life.  I know that it is Satan working on me and I want to be strong enough to withstand his attempt to make me fail.  If I practice kindness and love I will be able to overcome my tendency to anger.  Please help me to show others grace and mercy as you have shown me. 

Scripture:   Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.  Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret —it leads only to evil.  For those who are evil will be destroyed, but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land. Psalm 37:7-9

No comments:

Post a Comment