Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Freedom of Joy

One filled with joy preaches without preaching. ~Mother Teresa



One of the greatest trials of my life brings me great joy.  When I went through cancer, at the time I wasn't filled with joy but when I look back on that experience if fills me with great joy because it brought me to the place I am now.  Prior to cancer I did not know the Lord the way I do now.  I did not worship Him in everything I did and I didn't turn to him each day for strength and encouragement.  My life is changed for the better and the only way I personally could have experienced that was through the trial. 

Trials in our lives are used to exercise our faith and we should find joy in each experience.  A great example can be found in Job.  In the beginning he reacted positively and stated that the Lord gave and the Lord takes away.  But he also became discouraged as the trials became more difficult. As Job's faith continued to be tested God stood by him even when Job doubted and said "it profits a man nothing when he tries to please God" and eventually He gave Job twice as much as he had before. 

Just as a person exercises to build strength, so do trials exercise our faith and make it stronger.  The difference in discipline and trials is that discipline is God's way of dealing with the sin in our lives, whereas trials exercise our faith.  Your muscles don't get stronger by being a couch potato.  You have to physically use the muscles to get stronger.    


Prayer for the Day: Father I praise your Holy Name and I thank you for both the trials in my life and the discipline because they each show me that You love me.  I look forward to eternity with great joy.  I praise You for exercising my faith and bringing me joy in the process. 

Scripture:  Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.  Then I will teach transgressors your ways, so that sinners will turn back to you.  Psalm 51:11-13 

No comments:

Post a Comment