Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Runaway Tire

It finally happened.  I got the GPS lady so confused, she said, "In one-quarter mile, make a legal stop and ask directions." ~Robert Brault


My dad told a story this weekend that made me laugh.  He said when they were kids they took a trip in their old Model A.  They were riding along when they looked out the window and a tire rolled by and passed them.  I never had the opportunity to ride in a Model A but I can imagine the look on the faces in the car as the tire passed them on the road. What happened was their spare tire came loose off the back of the car and passed them.  On one side of the road was a steep cliff and on the other was a sheer rock wall.  It eventually rolled to a stop on the side of the road with the rock wall and they were able to retrieve it.  

Our lives are sometimes like this.  We don't have the time or take the time to appreciate what we have in life.  Life itself is the gift God has given us.  We are so busy striving for the next thing we want that we forget to slow down and appreciate the important things.  So like the tire passing by the car, our lives get faster and faster and more chaotic.  But most of the time instead of slowing down and remembering how precious life really is and getting off the roller coaster of the life we have created, our tire rolls off the cliff. 

Don't wait until your tire rolls over the cliff.  Stop now and take inventory of your life.  God can and will fill our lives with meaning.  Eternity is a place to look forward to if we spend it appreciating what God gives us now.    


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am guilty of letting my eye stray from you and onto the things of this world.  Please help me to keep my gaze firmly on you and to not step away from the path that leads to You.  You are my strength and you guide me in the way I should go.  Help me to focus on You and not the worldly things around me that can be such a distraction.  I praise Your Holy Name forever.  

Scripture:   Be patient, then, brothers and sisters, until the Lord’s coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for the autumn and spring rains. You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord’s coming is near. James 5:7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment