Friday, June 15, 2012

My Dad

One of the greatest gifts I ever had
Came from God; I call him Dad!
~Author Unknown


He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it. ~Clarence Budington Kelland


A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty. ~Author Unknown



You may or may not have a Dad like mine so I would like to share with you a glimpse of the man who raised me.  My Dad has always been larger than life to me.  We grew up never lacking for love.  Dad taught me how to love unconditionally and how to forgive.  He taught me what it means to have integrity, patience, and to be honest in everything you do and how to give unselfishly.  

Dad taught me how to rotate my tires, how to drive a tractor, ride a horse and mow the lawn.  He taught me how to take care of myself, treat others with compassion and how to share. My Dad taught me that if you set your mind to it, you could accomplish great things.

The older I get the more I turn to my Dad for advice.  He always thinks before he answers and when we were kids he never punished us when he was angry. Dad never missed a school event that we participated in and he wore out the grass in our front yard tossing the baseball to my brother.  He taught me how to drive a stick shift and never showed his fear when I pressed on the clutch instead of the break and almost ran us into the ditch.       

My Dad once told me that he was a Dad not a Father, because there is only one Father, our heavenly Father.  The greatest blessing I learned from my Dad is what it means to be a Christian.  When we were young he read bedtime stories to us from the Bible.  My sisters and I were Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego because he knew how to make the Bible come alive for us.  I thank God every day for my Dad and for blessing me with a Dad who loves me unconditionally. 

So as we approach Father's Day, I thank God for being my heavenly Father and sending His son to die on the cross for my sin, and Dad for being my earthly father and for giving me the most important gift in my earthly life, teaching me about the gift of salvation.  I love you.


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I  praise you for my earthly Dad.  He has blessed my life beyond measure.  Thank You for his patience, understanding, kindness, his ability to listen and for taking the time to teach me about You.  I am forever grateful to You for this amazing blessing my Dad.   

Scripture:   Listen to your father, who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old.  Buy the truth and do not sell it-wisdom, instruction and insight as well.  The father of a righteous child has great joy; a man who fathers a wise son rejoices in him.  May your father and mother rejoice; may she who gave you birth be joyful.  Proverbs 23:22-25

No comments:

Post a Comment