Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Acts of God

The Act of God designation on all insurance policies... means roughly that you cannot be insured for the accidents that are most likely to happen to you. If your ox kicks a hole in your neighbor's Maserati, however, indemnity is instantaneous. ~Alan Coren


Have you ever thought about insurance policies?  They insure us from things that could happen to us but there is always the statement in them that says you cannot be insured for Acts of God.  

I have decided that I don't want to be insured from Acts of God, because my daily life is filled with Acts of God.  The things that happen to me daily all go through God's hands first.  He knows about them and he allows them for a reason. Why would I want to be insured against them. The very best things that have happened in my life were Acts of God. 

Why do we want to be insured from these things that help us grow?  One of those reasons might be that we are afraid and God tells us not to be afraid. (For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. Isaiah 41:13)

Another might be that I don't trust God enough to take care of me and I am instructed to trust in the Lord. (Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6) 

I also find it interesting that many people don't believe in God but they believe in "Acts of God" enough that they will include it in an insurance policy.  If God did not exist then why should there be an exclusion in my insurance policy about the so-called "Acts of God" that can occur in my life.  Sometimes we place blame on God when the truth is we live in a fallen world where tragedy will and does happen every day and there is no insurance policy good enough to protect us from it except God. 


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I understand that You want what is best for me and sometimes that means I will suffer and bad things will happen to me because I live in a fallen world.  Help me to stay strong and always turn to you in those times when I allow fear to overtake me and also in the times when I don't trust You. You are the one and only true God and You are the only one who can safe me.

Scripture:    He was despised and rejected by mankind, a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.  Like one from whom people hide their faces he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.  Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering, yet we considered him punished by God, stricken by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.  Isaiah 53:3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment