Friday, June 22, 2012

Furniture on the Freeway

My father prayed because he had a good Friend with whom to share the problems of the day. ~Corrie Ten Boom



I know I can't be the only person who has encountered furniture on the freeway.  This morning I am riding along singing with the radio when I see a vehicle in front of me hauling a refrigerator.  I guess furniture has to get to its destination by some mode of transporation.  I just wish it was tied down first.  

In my many years on earth I have seen enough furniture on the freeway to furnish a good sized house.  I am not talking about the furniture riding in the back of a truck.  I am talking about the furniture that was not tied down and ended up in the middle of the road.  There was the Barcalounger on Interstate 30 that looked like it had already been hit by an eighteen wheeler.  Then there was the bed frame that was being drug behind a truck on 635 that the owner didn't realize he had lost so he was still dragging it behind him and the sparks were flying.  There was the dining table that landed upside down in the middle of 35.  Then there was the sofa that was sitting on the shoulder of the road like it was waiting for someone to take a seat.  

I don't understand what makes someone think that if they throw something in the back of a truck and take off going 80 miles per hour, that it won't end up disengaging from the vehicle it is riding in and landing on someone else's hood.  By the way furniture is not the only thing I have dodged on the road in my day.   There were ladders, folded tarps, gas cans, buckets, boards, tires, and other odds and ends.  

I am thinking that God has protected me from many wrecks on the road of life.  By the way the tarp I dodged fell off of an eighteen wheeler and was folded so if I had hit it I probably would have flipped my car.  The moral of this story is that God protects us everyday from things in this life that could take us out.  I want to be ready when that time comes even if it is a washing machine, refrigerator or other appliance.
      

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, thank you for protecting me from the road hazards in my life.  Some of the hazards I create myself and others I have no control over.  I know there is a reason for my being on this earth and I pray that you will keep me focused on what is important to you.  I don't want to be derailed by the unimportant things here on earth.   

Scripture:  I lift up my eyes to the mountains—where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip—he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord watches over you—the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going.  Psalm 121:1-8
   

No comments:

Post a Comment