Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Losing Your Life
 
In every pang that rends the heart
The Man of Sorrows has a part.
~Michael Bruce

I thought today about what it means to lose your life for Christ.  For many years I didn't understand it.  I had this simplistic idea that if I lost my life for something I would literally be dead.  I don't think I can yet understand the meaning of losing my life for Christ.  

I think it means I give up myself and all selfishness for the One who died on the cross for my sins.  It means I must forever look at myself with a critical eye and ask tough questions to make sure I am following Him in the way He would want me to go. 

Jesus Christ is a tough act to follow.  He was without sin, yet died on a cross for my sin.  He gave His life for you and me.  He was about the Father's business.  When Peter rebuked Jesus for telling the disciples he would suffer and die, Jesus told Peter he was a stumbling block and did not have the concerns of God in his heart.  I can't say as I blame Peter because I probably would have denied that Jesus would die because that is thinking from the human perspective and not a heavenly perspective. 

His next words resonate with me.  "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me."  I am so guilty of not denying myself. I see something that I want and go after it with enthusiasm.  How do we deny ourselves when we have so many things in this world that distract us?  There are new cars, and boats, and gizmos and gadgets to distract us from what we are here for on this earth.  I struggle with this daily.

Our concerns should be the unsaved people around us.  What breaks God's heart should break ours as well.


Prayer for the Day: Father, I want to be more like Jesus yet I am so weak.  Please give me the strength to resist the temptations that hit me from all sides.  I am a weak human and I am often tempted by the world and what it has to offer.  Please help me overcome the things of this world that distract me from You.  Thank you for your Son who gave his life so that I have the gift of salvation.  I don't want the Son of Man to be ashamed of me when he comes in Your glory with the holy angels. 

Scripture:  Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it.   What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.  Mark 8:34-38

No comments:

Post a Comment