Monday, June 25, 2012

Poison Ivy

Even if you've been fishing for three hours and haven't gotten anything except poison ivy and sunburn, you're still better off than the worm. ~Author Unknown


I've been thinking about poison ivy.  Maybe because I have it.  For Father's Day we all got together and went out to my brother and sister-in-laws for lunch and an afternoon of horseshoes and fishing.  One of my great memories from childhood was of my grandfather taking us fishing. 

Well I took a trip down memory lane and got poison ivy.  Now you might be thinking how did she get that fishing.  Well I went to cast my "lure" (for those of you who don't fish, this is a manmade bait that is made to look like something a fish would really like to eat) got caught in a tree.  Now I know what your next question is going to be.  Why was she fishing in a tree?  I had no idea there are fish in trees.  Well to be honest with you there aren't fish in trees.  My cast was just really bad.   My lure that I caught a really nice bass on earlier got wrapped around a tree limb.  Well my nephew said "Aunt Bren, we'll row you over to the tree to get your lure."  I thought that sounded like a great idea.

The stupid part of this story is that as I got closer to the bank I realized that my lure was wrapped around a rather large poison ivy bush.  But the angler (that's another word for fisherman) in me thought I can't lose this great fake lure.  I just caught a great bass on it. Only another fisherman will understand that kind of thinking.  So I proceeded to wrangle the lure out of the poison ivy bush.  

The odd thing about poison ivy is that it doesn't show up until much later.  Something like a week later.  So now I have poison ivy on my arms, my ankle, my neck and one side of my face.  Your next question is going to be how does any of this apply to God and a devotional.  Well, poison ivy is like sin and Satan. It can pop up everywhere in your life and sometimes it will lie dormant and when you least expect it, it spreads and can overtake your life.  

Some of you may think it weird or crazy how I can apply anything that goes on in my life to God.  But that is how often I think of Him everyday.  He is a part of my everyday life.  No matter where I go or what I am doing I am constantly thinking of God in my life and how he is at work in everything I do.  God didn't give me poison ivy, I did that all on my own, but my relationship with Him is always on my mind.  Isn't that how it should be with the Father who created us. 


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I praise you for creating me.  Thank you for giving me the ability to see You in everything I do.  There was a time when I didn't see You and my life was empty.  Now I see you everyday and I don't know what my life would be like without You.  You are my source of strength and I praise your Holy Name.  

Scripture:   Who can hide in secret places so that I cannot see them?”declares the Lord. “Do not I fill heaven and earth?” declares the Lord.  Jeremiah 23:24

No comments:

Post a Comment