Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Pig & A Goat


There is in all animals a sense of duty that man condescends to call instinct. ~Robert Brault

I was watching the news this morning and saw a story about a pig and a goat.  There was a baby goat at a petting zoo that fell into a pond and started floundering.  As humans stood on the sideline watching and videoing, a piglet jumped into the water and swam over to the goat and started pushing him to shore.  The piglet reached the shore leading the way for the goat to follow.  They both ran up the side of the hill to safety. 

You might ask why I found this interesting.  The main thing is it made me think of God.  There are millions of lost souls in this world who are drowning and we are standing on the sidelines watching. 

The piglet was an unlikely savior for the goat.  Even growing up in the country as I did, I don’t ever remember seeing a pig swim.  I’ve seen them roll around in the mud but never swim.  This piglet was an Olympian.  He would have gotten the gold. 

So as I watched this video it made me think of Jesus the carpenter by trade who was born to save us by dying.  What a legacy that is for us. The problem is we don’t often get off the sidelines to help someone else come to know our Savior. I want to be the seed falling on good soil that produces a heavenly crop in abundance.   
           
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am sometimes that person standing on the sidelines waiting for someone else to save others.  I want to be like the piglet who jumped in without hesitation and pushed the goat to shore.  You provide the tools to help us reach others in Your name.  Help me to open my eyes and see the lost souls waiting to be saved.  Give me the courage to step forward in faith.  

Scripture:   “Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart. This is the seed sown along the path. The seed falling on rocky ground refers to someone who hears the word and at once receives it with joy.  But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away.  The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful. But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it. This is the one who produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.” Matthew 13:18-23

No comments:

Post a Comment