Thursday, September 27, 2012


Everlasting Arms  

  

If I lean on God’s everlasting arms what do I have to fear?  Nothing.  He is my refuge in times of trouble, He is my source of strength when I am weak.  I praise Him in everything. 

When I was growing up we sang a beautiful hymn entitled “Leaning On the Everlasting Arms.”  This song became engraved on my heart and I remember the verses to this day.  I can still hear the music in my mind as I sing the words.

When I was young and singing these words in church I didn’t understand their true meaning.  At that time they were just words with music.  These days I totally understand the significance of God’s everlasting arms. 

Our arms are considered a source of strength.  They can lift things, give direction and even harm others in anger.  If we think of our arms as a source of strength, think about what God’s arms mean.  His arms never grow weary, they never lose their power and they are everlasting. 

This always reminds me of the story of Moses when the Amalekites attacked the Israelites.  He told Joshua to choose some men to go and fight the Amalekites.  Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill and as long as Moses held up his hands the Israelites were winning, but when he grew tired and lowered his arms the Israelites started losing.  Because Moses arms grew tired he had to have Aaron and Hur on either side of him to hold his hands up.  Joshua eventually overcame the Amalekite army through the strength that God gave Moses in his arms to hold his hands above his head.  Why did God do this?  I believe he wanted everyone to know that it wasn’t Moses strength but God’s. 

When I think of God’s arms I think of a strength that never fades.  His arms can hold me forever, for eternity.  Isn’t that what He wants for each of us?  He wants us to lean into Him, lean into His everlasting arms that will never grow weary or lose their strength.  We will be safe and secure in His arms where he brightens our path.  What do we have to dread here on earth that God cannot make right with His strength?  When we leave this earth He will hold us in His everlasting arms. 

What a fellowship, what a joy divine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
What a blessedness, what a peace is mine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.
Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

O how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
O how bright the path grows from day to day,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.
What have I to dread, what have I to fear,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
I have blessed peace with my Lord so near,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Published in 1887 music by Anthony Showalter Lyrics by Showalter & Elisha Hoffman

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, today and every day I want to lean on your everlasting arms.  I am weak but you are strong.  If I trust in You and lean not on my own understanding I can be at peace in You.  Thank you Father for allowing me to use Your arms as my resting place.           

Scripture:    The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms.” Deuteronomy 33:27

September 27, 2012 - Today I mourn the loss of my uncle who unexpectedly passed away yesterday.  I know he is in God’s everlasting arms.  I love you Uncle Mickey and you will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment