Wednesday, September 5, 2012


The Policeman

 
The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it. ~Dudley Moore
 
I was driving to work this morning and running a little behind schedule.  I left the house later than I normally do so I was also going a little faster than I should be trying to make up the time.  I am not sure why I do this because I always get to work an hour early so that I can study and write my next devotional. 

On most mornings I will see this same motorcycle come racing up in the fast lane.  It always irritates me because he will be weaving in and out of traffic and the reason I always notice him is because his helmet has a Mohawk. 

Well this motorcycle pulls in behind me in the fast lane.  Now the fast lane is for people going fast and I was going faster than the speed limit.  Honestly I deserved a ticket.  So this motorcycle pulls in behind me and turns on his bright lights.  So that irritates me more so I flip my rearview mirror to cut the glare.  Well as soon as I pass the car on my right the motorcycle pulls into that lane and passes me.  Imagine my surprise when I glance over and the guy has on a neon yellow police vest. 

He then speeds up and passes me and pulls in front of me and then slows down to 70mph which was the actual speed limit.  This policeman could have given me a ticket but he didn't.  Did I learn something from this incident?  Yes.  The first thing I learned was that God does have mercy and He showed a great deal of that this morning for me.  The second thing that was reinforced for me this morning is that I don’t deserve it.  I am guilty and yet God forgives me because I do stupid stuff and make mistakes and sometimes our choices have consequences.        
 

Prayer for the Day: Father, I am guilty of speeding and that is breaking the law.  I drive fast because I am in a hurry to get somewhere and it is unnecessary.  Thank you for getting my attention today.  Your way in disciplining me is often attention grabbing and sometimes that is what I need to get me back on track.  Thank you for caring enough about me to get me back on your path when I get lost.  There are days when I don’t see how you have the patience to keep saving us.      

Scripture:   The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple. The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart.  The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes. The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever. The decrees of the Lord are firm, and all of them are righteous. They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the honeycomb. By them your servant is warned; in keeping them there is great reward.  But who can discern their own errors? Forgive my hidden faults. Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me. Then I will be blameless, innocent of great transgression.  May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:7-14

No comments:

Post a Comment