Wednesday, September 26, 2012

No Driver  


It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity. ~Albert Einstein

Did you know there is a car being designed that needs no driver?  This started me thinking.  What would it be like to drive by a car on the freeway that didn’t have a driver?  I see plenty on the freeway these days that shouldn’t have a driver but that is a whole other story.  Then I took it one step further and thought to myself, why would I want a car that has no driver?

The theory behind this is that the car could pick up more than one person and drop you off and then go on to another destination to drop someone else off.  I know this is a new concept and we should be open to new technology but this one makes me nervous. 

I have enough problems with my cell phone dropping calls.  What happens when the car disconnects.  Does it leave you in the middle of a busy freeway?  I am sure there will be an internal GPS system where you will enter your address but sometimes the GPS is wrong.  So does the car drop you off at the wrong location and then you walk the rest of the way.  Then there is the whole computer thing.  When a glitch happens will it tell me to reboot.  Will I receive the error message “fatal error”? 

This is the part that I really found interesting.  The one stipulation they give is that there has to be a live person in the car at all times in case of an emergency.  So does this mean that one guy has to ride around in the car all day?  Maybe that will be his occupation.  He will be a full time Commuter.  I wonder if that comes with vacation and benefits.  

There is nothing inherently wrong with technology but it is the way we choose to use it that can be our downfall.  We are becoming a society that has little interaction with others.  We are gradually removing the heart from everything around us.  Children these days have lost the ability to interact socially with others because they do everything by text. God created us as a family.  Family is there to help each other when the valleys of life happen and believe me they will happen.  We have a hard enough time trusting God so why would we think we could trust a car with no driver. 


       
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I place my hope in You.  Life is difficult and we continue to create things that take the heart and soul out of life. Please help us to understand that the things of this life are fleeting and we need to communicate with each other in order to share the truth of salvation.  We will not be able to do this if we allow the technology of this world to absorb all of our time and attention.  
         
Scripture: those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs; those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them.  For this world in its present form is passing away.  1 Corinthians 7:30-31

No comments:

Post a Comment