Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Bicycle Built for Two  


The bicycle is a curious vehicle.  Its passenger is its engine.  ~John Howard

Have you ever ridden a bicycle built for two?  I did many years ago.  We had gone to my cousin’s grandmother’s house and they actually had a bicycle for two.  We decided to try it out. 

I will never forget how scary it was as a kid to get on that bicycle, my cousin in the seat in front and me in the back.  I felt so out of control.  There is a certain balance that you need to maintain to stay on the bike.  You have to learn to lean together into the corners. The other thing is you have to depend on the other person in front to lead you where you are going.

Isn’t this how we are with God?  We feel out of control because it requires faith.  We also have to learn to depend on Him not ourselves.  Then there is the direction thing.  We want to be leading the way and that not God’s way.  It is like letting go of the handlebars and running into the ditch. We have never been in control, God is.     
    
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, my life is sometimes like riding a bicycle built for two.  I don’t want to give up control but I often forget that I never have been in control. Please remind me of the importance of letting go and depending on You. 
  
Scripture:   To humans belong the plans of the heart, but from the Lord comes the proper answer of the tongue.  All a person’s ways seem pure to them, but motives are weighed by the Lord.  Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.  The Lord works out everything to its proper end—ever the wicked for a day of disaster.  The Lord detests all the proud of heart.  Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.  Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for; through the fear of the Lord evil is avoided.  Proverbs 16:1-6

No comments:

Post a Comment