Thursday, September 13, 2012

I’m a Techie  


The bathtub was invented in 1850 and the telephone in 1875.  In other words, if you had been living in 1850, you could have sat in the bathtub for 25 years without having to answer the phone.  ~Bill DeWitt

I admit it.  I am not the world’s greatest technological guru.  When my husband and I received our first phones that had text messaging, I admit I was slightly intimidated by the thing.  The reality is I should have been intimidated. I really didn’t know how the thing worked when texting, therefore I was armed and dangerous. 

When I finally got up the courage to send my first text message it was sort of a disaster.  I decided to text my sister in Houston.  I probably should have chosen someone local because then this might not have happened but I digress.  I enter what I thought was my sister’s phone number.  What I didn’t realize was that instead of putting an area code of 281 I entered 214.  This wouldn’t have been so bad if I hadn’t bragged about what a techy I was when I sent my first message. 

So I send a message to my sister that basically says, “Guess what, I am now a techie.”  So I get a response back that says “who is this”.  So I think my sister is just being a smart alec so I text her again.  The next message says something like, “That is great”. 

So I go along blissfully unaware that I am sending texts to someone I don’t know.  The next time I send a text to my sister a week later, I start with hey girl and this person finally responds, “I am not a girl and you have the wrong number.”  Imagine my mortification as I thought back on what I had texted to this person.  “Guess what, I am a techie.”  Not really, I am technologically challenged and some other person in the Dallas area knows it.    

This made me think of Noah.  Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God. One day God told Noah that he was going to put an end to all the people and he decided to destroy them.  Noah didn’t really have skills building a boat and he had never seen water. Yet this is another example of how God used someone unexpected to save the human race. 

I think that if God decided to use me in some way I hope he won’t ask me to text someone.  But then maybe he would just because I am no good at it. Isn’t that exactly the type of person God chose over and over in the Bible.  Maybe he could use me too.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, you have blessed me with talents that I don’t even know about.  I pray that you will use me and my talents for your kingdom.  You amaze me in all Your ways.  Thank you for seeing the potential in each of us. 

Scripture:   The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled.  So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.” But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.  Genesis 6:5-8

No comments:

Post a Comment