Monday, September 3, 2012

Starbucks


He who has faith has... an inward reservoir of courage, hope, confidence, calmness, and assuring trust that all will come out well - even though to the world it may appear to come out most badly.  ~B.C. Forbes


This morning I went by Starbucks to buy coffee beans because I was nearly out at home.  I am cheap so I won’t buy a tall, grande, jumbo or king size coffee at the local Starbucks.  Can you tell I don’t buy my cup of coffee at Starbucks?  I don’t even know the name of the different sizes you can buy.  But I digress.  I grind my coffee in the morning and have one cup before work but since I was running low and they have the grande size bags of coffee I decided to stop by and pick one up. 

It was a little strange.  When I pulled up there were no cars out front.  Mine was the only car in the lot.  What I did notice was there were people in running gear standing outside, sitting at tables and inside buying coffee.  The first thought that crossed my mind was if I had the day off and it was 6:30 in the morning, I would not have run to the local Starbucks for coffee.  Don’t get me wrong, running is great and I like coffee, but I only run when someone is chasing me.  I would have been at home in bed watching the backs of my eyelids. 

When I went inside I went straight to the wall to pick up my favorite flavor House Blend.  The young man behind the counter asked if he could grind it for me.  I told him no thank you because I have a grinder at home.  When he handed me my bagel he said, “Wait I want to give you something else.”  So he walked over to the shelf and picked up a grande bag of Breakfast Blend and gave it to me.  He starts telling me to try the Breakfast Blend because it has a little more Latin flavor to it. 

So, you all know me.  I am thinking this whole time.  What’s the catch?  Am I going to head out of the store and someone in running clothes will arrest me for taking something I didn’t pay for? He then said, “As an employee we get a free bag of coffee once a week so I am giving you mine so you can try it.”  I was so shocked that I got something for free that I forgot my Tall Very Berry Energy Drink.  

This made me think about getting things for free.  It doesn’t happen often and there is even a saying that goes, “nothing in life is free”.  Well, I disagree on that one.  Salvation is free to us because the price has already been paid. At the end of this world it will have been the most expensive price ever paid.  Its worth is far greater than all the world’s riches.  Jesus’ life.         

 
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, you simply amaze me.  That you would love me enough to give your only Son to die for my sin is sometimes beyond my comprehension.  Please help me to always remember the cost behind the sacrifice.  Jesus knew where he was going and went with unwavering faith. 


Scripture:   Jesus answered, “Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going. You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one.  But if I do judge, my decisions are true, because I am not alone.  I stand with the Father, who sent me.  In your own Law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is true.  I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me."  John 8:14-18

No comments:

Post a Comment