Wednesday, March 20, 2013


Image and Object Association    

Within each of us exists the image of God, however disfigured and corrupted by sin it may presently be. God is able to recover this image through grace as we are conformed to Christ.  Alister McGrath
Have you ever used images to associate or train your mind to think of something else?   It reminds me of the Rorschach Ink Blot psychological test.   They will give you a piece of paper with an ink blot on it and you say what it looks like to you.  The psychologist can then determine certain things about you by what you see in the ink blot. 

I have my own image association game that I play except I use it to remind me of things related to God.  Here is how it works. 
When my nephews were young they loved to play slug bug in the car.  You are riding in the car and any time you see a Volkswagen beetle you got to slug your brother or other passenger in the car if you were the first to yell slug bug.  To a parent I am sure this was a great way to keep the kids occupied or preoccupied as the case may be, so they would quit asking “Are we there yet?” To kids it was a great opportunity to slug your brother.  One of the image associations I use with this is anytime I see a Volkswagen beetle I picture in my mind my nephews and niece and I immediately pray for them wherever I am at that moment. 

Another image or object that I use to remind me of God is a necklace I wear every day.  My oldest sister gave me a beautiful cross after I was diagnosed with cancer.  I have worn the cross every day since she gave it to me.  It is not just an adornment for me.  Every time I put the cross on it instantly reminds me of Jesus dying on the cross for my sin.  It is a constant reminder throughout my day of the One who died for me.  Engraved on the cross is the alpha and omega.  It reminds me that he is the beginning and the end.
This morning I was driving to work and this image always comes to mind when I see a wrecker or tow truck.  If you look at most of them when they are not towing a vehicle the frame on the back looks like a large cross.  It never fails to remind me of Jesus dying on the cross. The image of Him being lifted into the air on the cross is a powerful one. 

God gave each of us an extraordinary mind.  We can use it to meditate on things above or fill it with other thoughts. If you practice image or object association, you will be surprised how often during your day God comes to mind.               
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I love to associate things around me to You.  It helps to remind me that you created me and that You are always with me.  I praise You for giving me a way to center my mind on things above.  It gives me strength just knowing You are near.     

Scripture:  O God, You are my God; early will I seek You; my soul thirsts for You; my flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water.  So I have looked for You in the sanctuary, to see Your power and Your glory.  Because Your loving kindness is better than life, my lips shall praise You.  Thus I will bless You while I live; I will lift up my hands in Your name.  My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness, and my mouth shall praise You with joyful lips. When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches. Because You have been my help, therefore in the shadow of Your wings I will rejoice.  My soul follows close behind You; your right hand upholds me.  Psalm 63:1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment