Thursday, March 28, 2013


Utilities Episode Take 2

When we depend upon organizations, we get what organizations can do; when we depend upon education, we get what education can do; when we depend upon man, we get what man can do; but when we depend upon prayer, we get what God can do.  A.C. Dixon

I am still in the process of getting utilities and my patience is wearing thin.  Today I called the utility company so that they could send a message to the owner of the new meter that it is ok to install a new stronger meter.  The kicker here is that even though I already paid a $200 deposit on this address for the 4 meters already at this location, I am now required to pay another $200 deposit for the new meter.
When I asked why, they told me it is located at a different address.  I explained that this meter would be located at the same address where all the other meters are located and the representative told me that sometimes an additional deposit is required because it is considered a different address.  She also said that this meter has a different address.  So I asked her “What is the address is for the new meter”?  She couldn’t tell me that either.  Since I only have one address for all of the meters I am guessing this means there is some unknown address to this special meter that only the utility company has access to.  I guess I am paying for its new home.

So I then asked “what are the circumstances that make it to where I don’t have to pay an additional deposit”.  She explained that it “depends”.  “Depends on what” I asked. She didn’t know, all she knew was the system was requiring another deposit and I wouldn’t be able to get the electricity until I paid the deposit.  If I disputed it and didn’t pay the deposit she said it would take 21 days for resolution of the dispute and that I still wouldn’t have electricity. I then asked if she had a complaint department.  She said no that I would need her to file a complaint. 
One hour into this conversation I caved.  I paid the additional $200 and then she came back and filled out a form for the complaint.  Here is another kicker (right in the teeth I might add).  She said that she would send my complaint over to the appropriate department and they would get back with me with a resolution.

I feel like I am living in an alternate universe.  What planet have I landed on?  I drive by the gas station every day and the gas prices go up and down faster than I can drive.  I need utilities and since deregulation, the utility company (the biller) and the provider (the installer) both have their hand in my back pocket taking withdrawals for deposits, increases in kilowatts and if I decide to cancel or change service there is an early cancelation fee.  Plus they read to me the meter owner’s fees too.  She was quick to explain that the $150 and $110 fees that the meter owner charges are not part of their fees.  I am thinking at the end of this process I am going to own a $10,000 meter that gives me 10 kilowatts. 
I admit, as things get more expensive and my paycheck gets smaller I have a tendency to get frustrated.  I think my sin is I am putting too much importance on the money and not enough on Who it really belongs to in the first place.  I do know that God wants me to spend the money he gives me wisely and this just isn’t computing for me. 

So I am asking you to pray for me that I survive my encounters with the utility companies and that I show the individuals I am dealing with a picture of Who God is.  I am failing this test so far so a lot of intercessory prayer is needed.        
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am a sinner and the past few weeks I have been on a downhill slide.  I am frustrated dealing with the utility companies and I admit it makes me angry.  I know You are trying to teach me something but my thick skull is not getting it.  I pray that you will open my eyes to whatever that may be.  I need Your help to cleanse my heart.  Help me to be a “light bearer” and to “rejoice” in all things.

Scripture:  
Light Bearers

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.  Philippians 2:12-16

Meditate on These Things

Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these  things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.  Philippians 4:4-9

No comments:

Post a Comment