Friday, March 22, 2013


Retirement    

Has life become so filled with efforts to cover every financial contingency, to realize one's full earthly potential, and finally to retire comfortably, that without realizing it we are finding our hope in this world rather than in God?  Dave Hunt
Do you ever think about retirement?  Sometimes I think we spend so much time focusing on retirement that we miss the life God wants us to have here on earth.  We are not created to work at a job for 45 years and then sit back and do nothing from a heavenly perspective. 

The world teaches us that we should work toward retirement and once it gets here we can coast.  If we look at retirement as a time where we let go of our responsibility as a Christian our perspective is wrong. 
I come from a family of hard workers.  My siblings and I are all the same.  Our work ethic is based on watching our grandparents and parents work.  My uncle owned a coffee company and when my grandparents were in their 70’s they washed coffee pots for a division of his company.  My grandfather had retired from his vocation many years before but they didn’t stop working until they were unable to drive and could no longer do the physical part of the job. 

My parents are now in their mid-70s and they have not stopped working.  They are running a business and can be found most weekends setting up a booth at local farmer’s markets.  This is not a job for the weak at heart.  I know because when they are at one farmer’s market I am at another.  This is how it works.  On Friday evenings after work I drive out to my parent’s farm to load my car.  While I load my car my dad and mom are loading theirs.  On Saturday we get up at 4:30 to 5:00am to drive to the market.  We then unload and set up a tent, tables and display our products.  We sell for 4 to 5 hours and then breakdown and reload the car.  Then it is another trip out to the farm to unload.  We love what we do but it is physical labor.  One of the things I get to see is my parents helping and loving others. 
I admit I don’t really look forward to retirement because I don’t see myself doing anything different with my life.  I don’t have a big nest egg set aside for retirement although we do have a 401K that we will use to take care of us if we end up in a “retirement home”. 

You know what I have learned.  I have spent the past 5 years spending time with my parents.  These have been the most joyful times of my life.   I have laughed and cried with these two very special people.  They have lifted me up when I needed it most and have given me more than money could ever buy.  They have taught me what retirement is all about.  God doesn’t talk about retirement in the Bible.  Retirement is a word made up by the world.  I think it is best described by Rick Warren, the author of “A Purpose Driven Life”. 
“The word ‘retirement’ is not even in the Bible, so it’s not a biblical concept.”  What is taught in Scripture is a transition. You may change jobs, you may change vocations and you may volunteer for free, but there is nothing that says you work most of your life and then get to be selfish for the next 20 years.”

Providing a biblical perspective on what retirement should resemble, Warren adds, “The Bible says that as long as your heart is beating God has a plan and purpose for your life … to grow personally, to get to know God, to serve others, and make the world a better place.”  excerpt from Rick Warren in Forbes
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I don’t want to retire.  I want to continue working for You.  You have a purpose for my life and it doesn’t end with the end of my worldly vocation.  You are the ultimate Employer.  I praise you for giving me parents and grandparents who taught me what it means to work for the Lord.  Retirement is not really on my horizon and I would not have it any other way.    

Scripture:  Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.  For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building.  According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 1 Corinthians 3:8-10

No comments:

Post a Comment