Monday, March 4, 2013


Short Circuit    

The cross is the lightning rod of grace that short-circuits God's wrath to Christ so that only the light of His love remains for believers. A.W. Tozer
I was at home on Friday night and I walked by the kitchen door leading out to the patio and it was dark.  We have one of those security lights that turns on at dusk and it wasn’t on.  I noticed it immediately because I parked my car in the driveway a short time before and it was on.  I asked my husband why the security light was not on. 

There is a weird thing that has happened several times in our neighborhood.  I don’t know much about electricity but on Friday the lights in our living room worked but not all the lights in the kitchen.  The microwave worked but not the overhead lights.  The hallway light didn’t work but the bathroom light did.  The bedroom light worked but the laundry light didn’t. 
The first time this happened it freaked me out.  It didn’t make sense to me unless someone did a really weird wiring job in our house. We then get a call from our neighbor behind us.  He had the same thing going on in his house.  Some lights operational and others not. 

We called our electric company and they came out and worked on it until 2:00am.  We knew this because I got up at 2:00 to get a drink and the lights were still flashing on the utility truck in our alley.
Sin can be kind of like that.  We are going along and obeying God’s Word and then something short circuits.  It could be that we are tempted by something that is a weakness for us in our Christian walk.  The light goes off.  We become distracted by worldly pursuits and we have another power outage. 

God is the Power, the Light and the Way.  We are so blessed that he allows second chances. We have the comfort of knowing that God loves us and allows us to return to Him even when we short circuit.       
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I sometimes allow worldly things to distract me and it is like my brain has a short circuit or sometimes an entire power outage.  Those are the times that I need to cling to You with everything in me. I praise You for loving me enough to wait until the lights come back on.       

Scripture:   Only be strong and very courageous, that you may observe to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you; do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper wherever you go.  This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.  Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.  Joshua 1:7-9

No comments:

Post a Comment