Monday, March 25, 2013


Wrinkles    

There is always a lot to be thankful for, if you take the time to look. For example, I'm sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt. ~Author Unknown
Some people, no matter how old they get, never lose their beauty - they merely move it from their faces into their hearts. ~Martin Buxbaum

I was thinking about wrinkles today, maybe because I have them or maybe it is because I find them interesting.  We often spend a lot of money on things to stop wrinkles.  There is the guy who discovered some obscure melon in some far off country who determined that the melon he discovered doesn’t spoil as quickly as other melons so he made a cream to put on your face that will slow the gravity that starts your face on a downhill slide. 
Sometimes we speed up the process of wrinkles by smoking, drugs, alcohol or too much sun.  Then we try to erase the signs by injections of botulinum toxin or bacteria injections into the face.  Then we spend a fortune on creams and lotions that have names we can’t pronounce or some manufacturer calls it by some made up name that sounds important so we think it must work.  Then we apply chemicals that peel the top layer of the skin off so that the skin below is rejuvenated.

Then there is the ultimate face rejuvenator, surgery.  I am no surgeon but I have seen my share of people who have had cosmetic surgery for vanity purposes and sometimes it is just downright scary.  I admit I don’t know where the sagging skin goes in plastic surgery.  I am thinking it is tucked behind your ears but I am not sure.   
I don’t want you to misunderstand.  There are some cases where cosmetic surgery is used to treat ailments.  But more often it is because we are vain and we want to world to see us as young and vibrant.

I admit I am guilty of buying and using various creams to make my face look younger.  Why?  The simple answer is I care about what the world thinks of the way I look.  Here is another question.  Why?  If I understand God and Who He is, why do I worry about what people think about the wrinkles on my face.  Some of the most interesting people I ever met had faces that were creased with lines.  There was history written in their faces.
We were not created to spend a lot of time and money on our outward appearance.  God created us in His image.  It is just that sometimes we spend too much time worrying about that image and not enough time with Him.  If we are at peace in our lives the wrinkles on our face will not matter.   

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am guilty of spending time trying to make my face look younger.  The thing is one day this will all catch up with me and my face will be filled with wrinkles.  Please help me to put this in perspective.  Your perspective.  Remind me that the wrinkles on my face are not really important.  How I live my life is, so help me focus on that and not the downward slope of my face.    
Scripture: Hear, my children, the instruction of a father, and give attention to know understanding; for I give you good doctrine: Do not forsake my law.  When I was my father’s son, tender and the only one in the sight of my mother, He also taught me, and said to me: “Let your heart retain my words; keep my commands, and live.  Get wisdom! Get understanding! Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth.  Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you; love her, and she will keep you.  Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding.  Exalt her, and she will promote you; she will bring you honor, when you embrace her.  She will place on your head an ornament of grace; A crown of glory she will deliver to you.” Proverbs 4:1-9

No comments:

Post a Comment