Thursday, March 7, 2013


The Fine Print   

The gospel is so simple that small children can understand it, and it is so profound that studies by the wisest theologians will never exhaust its riches.  Charles Hodge
Salvation comes through a cross and a crucified Christ. Andrew Murray

Do you ever get tired of the fine print?  Just about everything you purchase has it.  Yesterday I was reading the fine print for internet access.  The plan I chose allows unlimited downloading and uploading, “but” in order to ensure consistent performance for all users there is a Fair Access Policy but to make this simple to understand we will call it FAP for short.  You are also allowed an Anytime Data Allowance or ADA each month. This is the time you are allowed to download at full speed during the month.  If you exceed the “ADA” for the month your “throughput” speed is reduced.  There is also a Data Allowance Cycle or DAC.  At the end of each DAC you will get a refill overnight.
Here is the kicker.  If you don’t use your ADA during the DAC you lose it.  You are also allotted Bonus Bytes so to make this easier to understand we’ll call these BB’s for short.  There is only a certain time of day that you are allowed to use your BB’s and if it is not the right time of day your usage is deducted from your ADA.  In other words, “Your BB’s provide a special pool which is used automatically during the BP or Bonus Period." 

I hope I haven’t lost you yet.  Stay with me.  The BP is 2:00am to 8:00am.  The time my BP is available makes me tired just thinking about it.  When you go outside the BP your service performance is reduced.  If this happens you do have options.  You can upgrade your plan or you can purchase “Anytime Bytes” or AB’s but they are really called Restore Tokens or RT’s.  The RT’s will immediately remove your speed restrictions and add back to your ADA.  The beauty of this is if you have unused RT’s you lose them.  You can’t carry them with you to the next BC or Billing Cycle.
As you can see I had plenty of time to read the FAP since I was on the phone for several hours, the majority of it spent on hold.  Here is another example of technology at work.  I think I may need to go back to college so that I can understand the difference in a DAC and my ADA. 

I praise our Heavenly Father for making salvation simple.  There is no fine print to get past and the cost stays the same.  Jesus’ life was the cost and that will never change.  It won’t go up and you can’t lose it.   
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, when I start to think the Bible is difficult to understand, remind me about our human capacity to make things complicated.  Most of the time this complication is just another way to increase the bottom line.  I praise you for making salvation easy enough to understand that it doesn’t take a degree in rocket science for me to understand.         

Scripture:      But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation.  For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us, that whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with Him.  1 Thessalonians 5:8-10

No comments:

Post a Comment