Thursday, May 9, 2013


God Time

Closet communion needs time for the revelation of God's presence. It is vain to say, "I have too much work to do to find time." You must find time or forfeit blessing. God knows how to save for you the time you sacredly keep for communion with Him.  A.T. Pierson
Do you have a time set aside each day just to spend time with God?  I used to never spend quality time with God.  I just didn’t have the time or so I told myself.  It was easy to just brush off God and go on with my day. 

Then something happened.  I began to feel I was missing something.  I wasn’t sure what it was exactly, the feeling was just there.  So about eight years ago I intentionally set aside morning time to spend with the Father.  I would get to work an hour early and spend that time with Him. 
I admit there are mornings when I just want to hit the snooze button and roll over and sleep another hour.  In fact most mornings I feel that way.  I will lay there and open one eye and glance at the clock.  It would be so easy to pull the covers over my head and close my eyes.

I am not really sure how to describe the feeling I get at those times.  The first thing that pops into my head is “What about your God time?”  Do you want to sacrifice that time?  And something comes over me that says “you can sacrifice a few more minutes of sleep, you can skip the morning coffee, you can skip bringing your lunch to work”.  All of these things fall by the wayside compared to my time with God. 
I didn’t realize how many people at work pay attention to my comings and goings.  I was talking to one of the ladies one day and I asked her if I could help her with issuing checks because I knew she had been out of the office for a few days and things were hectic for her.  She said, “Oh no, I couldn’t let you do that.  You are already here at 6:30am every morning and you are here late every day.  You have too much on your plate already.”  I quickly explained to her that when I arrive at the office every day at 6:30am, I am not working, I am doing a devotional.  I had another young woman ask me if I ever leave work.  I am at work when she comes in at 7:00am and I am still here when she leaves at 4:00pm.  Just a few moments ago I had another young woman stop by my office to say "Do you ever go home?"  This is how God works.  I was able to tell her that I come in early to do a Bible study, write a devotional and spend time with God. God will open those doors for you, we have to choose to step through them and follow Him.  

I don’t say all of this to brag about how much time I spend with God.  I say it because I find that the more time I spend with Him in quiet uninterrupted time, the more I want to spend with Him and the blessing in this is it makes me want to share Him with others.  I enjoy that time.  It helps me to start my day off in the best way possible and I actually feel His presence the most during that quiet time.
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, thank you for nudging me toward spending quality time with You.  The loss of sleep doesn’t even come close to comparing with the joy I feel each time I devote quality quiet time with You. When someone emails me and asks me to add another person to the devotional list, I know You are at work and it makes it all worthwhile. You are an amazing Father and I praise You.             

Scripture: Truly my soul silently waits for God; from Him comes my salvation.  He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be greatly moved. How long will you attack a man? You shall be slain, all of you, like a leaning wall and a tottering fence. They only consult to cast him down from his high position; they delight in lies; they bless with their mouth, but they curse inwardly. My soul, wait silently for God alone, for my expectation is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be moved. In God is my salvation and my glory; the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.  Trust in Him at all times, you people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. Psalm 62:1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment