Monday, May 20, 2013


The Peanut

When I was young, I said to God, "God, tell me the mystery of the universe." But God answered, "That knowledge is reserved for me alone." So I said, "God, tell me the mystery of the peanut." Then God said, "Well George, that's more nearly your size." And he told me.  George Washington Carver
Do you ever get impatient with God?  One of the hardest things for me to do is to wait.  In the world we live in there is a great aversion to waiting.  We don’t want to wait in line, wait until we can afford something, wait for dinner or wait our turn.  We are not waiters we are doers.  We want instant gratification.  Why else would the drive-thru and the microwave be invented than to make things move faster so we can run to the next thing on our list of important things to do?  So we treat God like the drive-thru window at our favorite fast-food restaurant.

The problem is, we tend to do this with God as well.  We want immediate answers to our prayers.  We don’t want to wait on His timing, which is perfect, we want it now.  So instead of meditating on His Word and praying continuously, we pray once and then wait for something to happen.  The great irony is, when God doesn’t respond immediately we blame Him for not giving us what we want or we stop praying all together.  Then we go a step further and tell ourselves that God really doesn’t care about me so why should I go to him to meet my needs. This is when Satan gets in the driver’s seat and begins to take over our life.
I started thinking about why God doesn’t give us more responsibility.  If we can’t wait for Him to answer, why would he give us more knowledge or responsibility?  It is ironic how we want answers to the big stuff before we get the answers to the small stuff.
I think I need to teach myself how to wait.  Maybe I should pick the longest line at the bank.  Have you ever noticed that when you pick the shortest line at the bank, the longer lines move faster?  You get in the shortest line at the grocery store and the person in front of you pulls out a folder full of coupons and a newspaper so they can get the comparison price.  Maybe instead of spending my time in line getting frustrated I should spend it praying. 

If I am no longer waiting impatiently in lines for stuff that will make no difference to my eternal life, maybe I would get closer to the One who created me.  A side effect of this might be that my spirit reflects joy instead of impatience.  Then maybe I just might let the person behind me who only has one item go in front of me and show that person who God really is.  Jesus made himself last when he lived on earth.  If we are to become more like Him, we need to learn to be last.
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I get impatient waiting in line.  Too many times I want to know the mystery of the universe before I have even learned the mystery of You.  Help me to slow down and wait on You.  My impatience often make me miss the very things You are trying to teach me.                     

Scripture: Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, waiting patiently for it until it receives the early and latter rain. You also be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand.  James 5:7-8

Show me Your ways, O Lord; teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; on You I wait all the day.  Remember, O Lord, Your tender mercies and Your lovingkindnesses, for they are from of old.  Psalm 25:4-6

He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday.  Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him; do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass. Cease from anger, and forsake wrath; do not fret—it only causes harm. Psalm 37:6-8

 

No comments:

Post a Comment