Wednesday, May 29, 2013


Walking On Water

There are three kinds of faith in Christ: 1. Struggling faith, like a man in deep water desperately swimming. 2. Clinging faith, like a man hanging to the side of a boat. 3. Resting faith, like a man safely within the boat (and able to reach out with a hand to help someone else get in).  D.L. Moody
When we were young my parents decided to build a larger home.  One of the things they had to do was build up the foundation.  To do this they had a friend who worked in construction.  He had a bulldozer so he came out to our property to remove some trees where the house would be built and also to remove dirt on part of the property and use it to raise the foundation.  The removal of the dirt left a large hole in the ground.  Once the dirt was removed he would fill in the hole with the trees he knocked down and then fill in the remainder with dirt.

Since this friend used the bulldozer in his business it was quite a few months before he could return to fill in the hole.  Since we lived in Louisiana there was a lot of rainfall and the hole filled up with rainwater.  My brother was the adventurous sort, so he decided to build a boat to use on what we called the pond.  He decided to build his boat out of a piece of plywood and gallon milk jugs.  When the friend came by to visit he saw the boat my brother was building and he told my parents he would be back the next day to fill in the hole.  He was concerned my brother would try to float his boat in the pond.  I am thinking if I built a boat made of plywood and milk jugs I would need to be practicing my walking on water skills.
This story started me thinking about the disciples out in the boat while Jesus was on the mountain praying.  When a storm blew in I think Jesus knew they were afraid of the tossing sea.  I think he also knew they would be afraid when they saw him walking on the water.  What better way to teach the disciples a valuable lesson in faith.  So as Jesus walks toward them on the water, they thought he was a ghost. Here is where doubt creeps in.  Peter decides to test Jesus so he says, “If it really is You command me to walk out to You.” Jesus knew Peter would doubt him again because as soon as he walked a few steps he became afraid and started sinking.  But who does he cry out to when fear sets in?  The very One he is supposed to believe in, Jesus the so called ghost.   

Then I started thinking about what I would have done in Peter’s shoes.  I don’t think my faith would be strong enough to allow me to walk on water.  I am afraid I would have done exactly what Peter did under the same circumstances.  I would have sunk like a rock.  Why do we have such a hard time believing and having faith in God?  I think part of it is because we are depending on our own abilities and not the Father’s.  We know our capabilities but we don’t fully understand God’s.  We also test God don’t we?  Instead of stepping out in faith with confidence we take small steps.  We tithe and then wait to see what will happen.  We wait until we have an illness and then we turn to Him for a miracle.  We ask for things that we don’t need and then do our best to get it, knowing that God knows what is best for us but pursuing it anyway. 
How do we learn to have faith that believes that God can do anything? How do we live every day knowing God can do anything?  If we are following God’s Word then we should not doubt what God can do.  If we become a faithful follower of Christ, doubt in the One who created us will no longer happen.  Along with that comes the peace that surpasses all understanding.   

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, my faith sometimes is shaky.  I often doubt You and the things You do in my life.  Help me to trust in You and believe that You know what is best for me.  I won’t always get what I ask for but that is ok.  When that “walking on water” moment happens, help me to be prepared to trust in You.                       
Scripture: Immediately Jesus made His disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, while He sent the multitudes away. And when He had sent the multitudes away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. Now when evening came, He was alone there.  But the boat was now in the middle of the sea, tossed by the waves, for the wind was contrary.  Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea.  And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out for fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid.” And Peter answered Him and said, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.” So He said, “Come.” And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus. But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, “Lord, save me!” And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”  And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased.  Then those who were in the boat came and worshiped Him, saying, “Truly You are the Son of God.” Matthew 14:22-33

 

No comments:

Post a Comment