Monday, May 6, 2013


The Filing Cabinet

Are you ready to go at once straight into heaven, if the gates were thrown open? What manner of persons ought we to be to say it! Are we walking in a way perfectly consistent with stepping tonight at once into the glory, to be at home in the Father's house?  G.V. Wigram
When Jesus warns us not to store up treasures on earth, it's not just because wealth might be lost; it's because wealth will always be lost. Either it leaves us while we live, or we leave it when we die. No exceptions....Realizing its value is temporary should radically affect our investment strategy.... According to Jesus, storing up earthly treasures isn't simply wrong. It's just plain stupid.  Randy Alcorn

What folders do you have in your filing cabinet? I like to think of my brain as a tiny filing cabinet.  Tiny because there is not much up there I often think.  Anyway, there are all these files stored up there called brain cells.  God is so amazing.  He created us with something in our head that resembles an over large raisin but it has the capability to store endless amounts of information.
What do you store in the filing cabinet God gave you?  Do you fill it with thoughts of heaven or thoughts of the Father? Do you have a file called Scripture where you return often and like an often used book, the pages are worn and frayed?  I have a Do For Others file but sometimes I don’t open it as often as I should.  Then there is the Love Others file.  There is also one filed under “G” that is my Giving file.  Then there is a Joy file.

Too many times I spend more time on other files that are not so important.  There is the Me file and sometimes this file is overflowing.  This one is broken down into categories since I sometimes use this one more than the others.  It has a section on Its All About Me.  Under this section there are subcategories of How to Make Money, How to Spend Money and How to Keep Up With the Neighbors.  Then there is another section on Being First and Winning. 
I’ve come to the conclusion that my filing cabinet is filled with a lot of junk that needs to be shredded.  If I would just clean out the junk there would be more room for the good stuff. 

It never fails to amaze me when we do events, how God gives us opportunities to touch people’s lives by small gestures. We had a young woman who was a vendor at one of our events this weekend.  She set up a booth right next to us and we spoke casually throughout the day.  Near the end of the event she came over and made this statement: “I waited until the end of the day to tell you this.  I wanted to tell you that I lost my sister to cancer a year ago and I just wanted to tell you that she loved your lavender.  It was her favorite.  It brought her great comfort near the end of her life.”  This young woman had tears in her eyes as she spoke and she said she just wanted to thank us. 
As we talked it struck me that this is what life is about.  These are the opportunities that each of us has every day to touch someone else’s life.  Too many times we are so busy using the “Me” folders that we ignore the critical ones that have eternal importance. Fill up your filing cabinet with the good stuff.     

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, before each event I pray that you will allow me to touch at least one person’s life for You.  You continue to amaze me because when I pray that You always answer. Thank You for blessing me with those life changing moments.            
Scripture: Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.  Colossians 3:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment