Friday, May 10, 2013


What’s In Your Toolbox?

Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along.  George Herbert
Have thy tools ready. God will find thee work.  Charles Kingsley

Several years ago my family gave me a toolbox of my very own.  It had all these great tools in it that would come in handy when I was doing repairs around the house. On the outside of my toolbox in black marker was written, “This is Brenda’s Toolbox.  Jerry Do Not Touch. Tools Not for the Boat Stall.”  There is a story behind this so let me explain.  
My husband and I share the tools around our house. At that time Jerry had our boat at a boat stall at Lake Fork.  If my Dad or brother came over to help repair something, I could never locate the proper tool and I would tell them Jerry took it to the boat stall.  So they gave me my very own toolbox with warning signs for Jerry not to touch my tools. 

This started me thinking about the tools in my toolbox.  I had a hammer, a tape measure, screwdrivers, a hacksaw, needle nose pliers, a set of drill bits, a pack of nails and assorted screws and fasteners.  There was also a flashlight.
I started thinking about what my God Tool Box would look like.  What tools would I replace in my spiritual tool box? A hammer wouldn’t be necessary.  If you are trying to share God’s Word with others hammering it into them won’t work.  I would probably keep the tape measure.  I would need some way to measure the effectiveness of my ministry.  I would keep the nails, screws and fasteners because that is what holds the Christian body together.  I couldn’t get rid of the flashlight because that is what reflects God to others through me.  One item that is missing though is the Instruction Manual (the Bible) so I would add that and then for good measure I would throw in the Fruit of the Spirit like love, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, peace, joy and longsuffering.

What I fill my spiritual tool box with could make the difference in someone else coming to know Christ.  Do you have the right tools to make a difference in God’s Kingdom?   
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, You provide all the tools I need to make a difference in other’s lives.  How I use those tools can make the difference in showing someone You or turning them away from You.  Please help me to use the tools You give me to save others in Your Name.               

Scripture: Good and upright is the Lord; therefore He teaches sinners in the way. The humble He guides in justice, and the humble He teaches His way.  All the paths of the Lord are mercy and truth, to such as keep His covenant and His testimonies. For Your name’s sake, O Lord, pardon my iniquity, for it is great.  Who is the man that fears the Lord? Him shall He teach in the way He chooses. He himself shall dwell in prosperity, and his descendants shall inherit the earth. The secret of the Lord is with those who fear Him, and He will show them His covenant.  My eyes are ever toward the Lord, for He shall pluck my feet out of the net. Psalm 25:8-15

No comments:

Post a Comment