Tuesday, May 21, 2013


Least Likely to Succeed

My attitude was and still is like that of David, who was ashamed that the armies of Israel would tremble before Goliath. Without hesitation he stepped forward with complete confidence in the God who had proven Himself to be faithful (1 Sam 17). For David, the size of the giant was irrelevant.  Dave Hunt
As you step into the battle for truth, God will supply all you need, and your faith will grow ever stronger in Him. The church needs more "Davids"--men and women ready to be used in defense of the truth against the "giants" of unbelief.  Dave Hunt

My Dad came over to our house last night and we started talking about God and how He works in our lives.  One of the things we discussed is how God does the unexpected.  God doesn’t do things the way we would do them.  That is why He is God and we are not. 
The conversation turned to David.  I always love reading about David.  His own family didn’t think he was qualified to be king.  Jesse thought he was only capable of herding sheep so he didn’t even put David in the king lineup with his brothers.  David’s occupation as sheep herder didn’t make him king material as far as the world was concerned. 

God thought differently.  He knew exactly whom He would choose as king. As Samuel watched all of Jesse’s sons as they were presented as potential king, God kept saying no not this one.
Another thing I like about David is he failed over and over again but God still loved him. He murdered, he lusted after someone else’s wife and killed to get her. Yet David accomplished amazing things through God.  In our world if you were heading into battle with a rock and a slingshot you would be laughed at and ridiculed just as David was in his day.  The key here was that David had a heart for God.  He loved God even though he failed over and over again.

As Dad and I talked, we discussed how our ways are not God’s ways.  God doesn’t accomplish things in the way we think He should and isn’t that the ultimate blessing.  Our power and might is nothing compared to God’s.  Why do we place limits on what God can accomplish in our lives through Him?  Sometimes I think it is insecurity and at other times I think it is our need to control our circumstances. 
If we ever get in line with what God has planned for our life, a slingshot and a rock wouldn’t sound so silly would it? If I come to the end of self and turn it all over to God the possibilities of what God can do are endless.   The unexpected will happen.  

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I praise You for giving me examples in the Bible of men and women who were ordinary, who through your strength became extraordinary.  I pray that You will use me in the same way.  It may not be a rock and a slingshot, but who knows, maybe if I turn myself over to You, I will have potential just like David.                       
Scripture: The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.  He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over.  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.  Psalm 23:1-6

 

No comments:

Post a Comment