Thursday, January 9, 2014

Confusion Leads to Clarity

Scripture, because of its absolute clarity, brings understanding where there is ignorance, order where there is confusion, and light where there is spiritual and moral darkness.   John MacArthur

I don’t know if you are like me, but there are times when I read scripture in the Bible and I just don’t get it.  Those are the times when I read if over and over again, break down the words, look up definitions and basically dissect the verse to see if I can bring clarity out of my confusion.  I will also ask other Christians their thoughts to see if the light bulb will come on. 

When I am confused about how something works or needs to be put together I always read the instructions.  Here is an example.  I received a Keurig coffee maker for Christmas.  Call me slow, but it took me a while to put the thing together.  It had instructions in four languages but I couldn’t even understand the English version much less the Danish.  There were all these parts including a filter, a water holder, a lid for the water holder, a container to hold the K-cups and another one to hold your own personal blend of coffee. There was also this little gauge that tells you when you need to change the filter and extra filters. 
  
The problem was I started putting this thing together when I really needed coffee.  That is not the time to decide to put together a coffeemaker with multiple parts.  So I got in a hurry and skipped a step.  The big blue light came on (it sort of reminds me of the Blue Light Special at Kmart), and I pressed the button to dispense my coffee and nothing happened.  My husband walks into the kitchen and asks me how I like my new coffee maker.  I tell him I don’t know because I can’t get it to work.  So I go back to the instructions.  I read them again and again.  Finally I figured out that I had not put enough water in the holding tank.  I also didn’t see anything in the instructions about the flashing blue light that indicates you need to add water. I learned that part all on my own.
 
One of the things I have learned about the Bible is that the more I study it the more I get clarity out of my confusion.  I also learned that if you pray and ask God for guidance He will bring clarity out of your confusion.  You may not get it the first time or even the second, but eventually He will bring clarity.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I love to read Your Word.  Each verse contains hidden treasure that is just waiting to be revealed.  I pray for understanding, wisdom and clarity.  You have always given that to me when I turn to You first and ask for it before I start reading.  It may take me several tries but You always reveal what I need to learn from Your Word.              

Scripture: Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither—whatever they do prospers.  Psalm 1:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment