Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Living Like There Is No Tomorrow

If today were your last, would you do what you're doing? Or would you love more, give more, forgive more? Then do so! Forgive and give as if it were your last opportunity. Love like there's no tomorrow, and if tomorrow comes, love again.  Max Lucado

How do you live?  I was thinking about this on my way to work today.  I asked myself how I live day to day.  Am I looking forward to all the tomorrow’s I think I have in my tomorrow bank?  I think too many times we become so desensitized to the time we think we have on earth that we forget that it could be gone tomorrow, today or even in the next few minutes. 

I was driving along thinking about this very thing and I see a car in my rearview mirror that has one headlight askew, (hanging lopsided), and he zooms by me in the next lane. As he passes I watch him for a minute and all of a sudden he crosses two lanes into an exit only lane and then he crosses three lanes back to the other side of the freeway and keeps going the same speed.  This guy was driving like there might not be a tomorrow. 

I believe there is nothing wrong with planning but I think too many times I plan too much ahead.  There is something to be said about living in the moment.  When we lose sight of the fact that the time we are here on earth is but a fraction of the time we could spend in eternity it puts it back into perspective.
 
How many more people could we love, forgive and save if we gave up the pursuit of tomorrow and the regret of yesterday. I have spent what amounts to a lifetime pursuing things that I want to use tomorrow.  If I change my focus and look at today, tomorrow will come soon enough if it ever does.

God wants us to spend today doing work that will matter in eternity.  If we can’t say that we have done anything today that moves us closer to eternal life while pursuing others to take with us, then we need to change our perspective on living like there is no tomorrow. 

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, too many times I get caught up in the world and I plan for tomorrow so much that I forget about today.  If I am so busy thinking about what I will do this weekend, next month or even next year, that my perspective on life needs to be changed.  If I make this small change I will worry less about what will come tomorrow if it comes at all.  Thank You for Your wisdom and guidance.  Without You I am nothing. 
     

Scripture:  As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”


“Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.’”


“Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”


Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”


At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth. Mark 10:17-22

No comments:

Post a Comment