Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Remote Control

The family circle is the supreme conductor of Christianity.  Henry Drummond

The same Jesus Who turned water into wine can transform your home, your life, your family, and your future. He is still in the miracle-working business, and His business is the business of transformation. Adrian Rogers

Did you know that there is now an oven that you can program from your cell phone?  The tag line for it is “Redefining the Culinary Experience”.  I’m thinking it is more like “Removing Yourself from the Culinary Experience.”  It states that it is just a matter of time before the kitchen will once again become the central core of family life.  When I read this statement my first thought was you would have to have family show up for it to be the core of family life. 

Did you also know that this is what the American consumer and a modern family wants?  I mean it said it in the advertisement so it must be true.  Some of the benefits advertised are that you can remotely start the oven from wherever you are; you can preheat the oven from the office; turn on the casserole from the soccer field and my favorite is that it will eventually be tied into the factory where diagnostic checks can be done remotely.  I’m thinking the guy from the factory should just cook for me and then I won’t even need to think about cooking.  That’s what I call efficiency.

The article goes on to say that this is to make the culinary experience accessible to anyone and to empower the individual.  It also says that the novice chef will perform at expert levels with the simple swipe of a finger.

All of you know that I am technologically challenged.  I am seeing a lot of burned meals in my future using this thing.  I mean what happens if you hit a 5 instead of a 4 and don’t realize it.  Maybe there is a smoke detector in this thing that will automatically shut the oven off and call the fire department.  I can just see myself standing at the soccer field texting and someone asks who are you texting and you say “my oven”.  I really don’t get the whole empowering thing and I also can’t see me performing at expert cooking levels just because I can do it remotely from my phone.

Families eating dinner together has kind of gone by the wayside.  There are sports activities to attend, ballet lessons, gymnastics and any number of things that keep us from sitting down to meals together.  Even TV has intruded on mealtimes with most families.  I know because my husband and I do it all the time.  Instead of catching up on how our day went, we sit down and turn on the TV.  Dinnertime is no longer a time to get the family together.  As far as empowerment goes, God’s power is the only kind I need and my oven can’t compare to His power even if I could start it remotely. 

Here is the part I don’t understand.  The more technologically advanced we become the less time we have for each other.  I don’t think that is what God had in mind when he created us.  We already have children who only communicate through text.  I am afraid the more advanced in technology we become the more families will fill the extra time they gain with unimportant stuff that draws us further away from what God intended us to be.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am guilty of being distracted by technology.  Instead of sharing our day with each other we sit down to dinner and turn on the TV.  I know this is not how You intended a family unit to work.  Help me to slow down and enjoy the time I have with family.  I don’t need an oven connected to my iPhone  to empower me.   All I need is Your power and that is enough. 
            

Scripture: For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love,  may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height—to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.


Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.  Ephesians 3:14-21

No comments:

Post a Comment