Monday, January 13, 2014

Intercession

The Church has not yet touched the fringe of the possibilities of intercessory prayer. Her largest victories will be witnessed when individual Christians everywhere come to recognize their priesthood unto God and day by day give themselves unto prayer.  John R. Mott

Have you ever interceded on someone’s behalf through intercessory prayer?  Intercessory prayer means that one person requests blessing, direction, mercy or help for another person through prayer to God.  If the Holy Spirit lives in us then he is there to help when we in our limited knowledge, don’t know what to pray for and on another’s behalf.
 
Jesus is the best example of intercessory prayer. He placed Himself between us and God so that we could be reconciled to God because of the sin of man.  We blew it and God knew it.  So He sent His Son, someone we didn’t know, to intercede on our behalf and take all the wrath of God upon Himself for our sin.
 
I don’t know about you, but that is hard for me to wrap my arms around.  That someone would give His life to die on a cross on my behalf because I had sinned, and would continue to sin simply amazes me. If you think about it, our debt of gratitude should be so great that we should gladly intercede on behalf of others because how can we not.
 
You have heard me speak before about the gentleman I met a CVS who is from Syria.  His circumstances in life are much worse than mine.  I have parents who live 20 minutes from me.  They are healthy, active and are a great blessing to me.  This gentleman’s parents were born in Syria but have fled the country due to persecution.  He has not seen his dad in 10 years and his dad is in poor health.  Through technology he is able to speak to them periodically but infrequently.
 
Every day of the week I drive by this gentleman’s store and he always comes to mind.  Some days I stop to buy fruit cups for lunch or a carton of milk for breakfast.  There are plenty of other stores I could go to but there are times when something inside tells me to stop and speak to him.  Several weeks ago I stopped because I had not seen or spoken to him for several weeks.  After talking to him for several minutes and asking about his dad I told him I would continue to pray for him and his family.  He told me that I was a good person.
 
Those were such simple words and I am such a sap because it brought tears to my eyes.  The very thing that God calls each of us to do for others is supposed to touch our hearts. If our hearts aren’t touched by another’s suffering then we don’t understand Jesus’ sacrifice to the extent that we should. 

     
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, You have blessed me beyond measure and I don’t deserve it.  Give me a heart for others.  Teach me what it means to intercede on other another’s behalf through prayer. Jesus died a painful death on a cross so that I could be in relationship with You.  That is the ultimate sacrifice for an undeserving soul.  Thank You for giving me a way back to You through the death of Jesus.  I am forever grateful.  
                 

Scripture:   In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.  And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.



And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified. Romans 8:26-30

No comments:

Post a Comment