Monday, January 27, 2014

Write Your Story

At the heart of the story stands the cross of Christ where evil did its worst and met its match.  John W. Wenham

There is a new song on our local Christian radio station by Francesca Battistelli called “Write Your Story”.  At first I thought the song was about me writing my story.  What she talks about in the song is exactly the opposite.  In the words of the song she says she wants Christ to write His story on her heart.
 
Those are beautiful words to me. How can we best understand what our mission on earth is unless we can take Jesus life story and write it on our hearts?  If we are not able to take the story of Jesus birth, His love for others, and his ultimate death on our behalf and bury that story in our hearts, we may never reach the full potential of what we should be during our time on earth.
 
If you think about it, Jesus story was not an easy one.  Born in a manger surrounded by farm animals because there was not room for Him at what we in this day and age would call the luxuries of the local Marriott.  Then there are his personal encounters with people just like us.  There were tax collectors, thieves, prostitutes, beggars, rich men, poor men and widows.  He saw and immersed himself in the worst of society. 

Why would Jesus want us to write His story on our hearts?  This is what I think.  I think that he wants us to write His story in our hearts for the simple reason that if we are not able to see His life as a living sacrifice for us, then how can we show others who He is and what he was while he was here. Our very purpose in life should be to reach the living, lonely and lost.  I call it the three “L’s”.  If there is a person on earth who is living, lonely and lost then they need us. 

Jesus lived His entire life on earth as a living sacrifice for us.  The crazy thing about that is we don’t deserve it.  The concept and reality of someone being nailed to a cross for the sins I have committed just overwhelms me. 

If the story of Jesus is written on my heart I will see the pain, loneliness and longing that is in another person’s heart.  If His story is written on my heart, it will not be necessary to ask someone if they need something, I will see it based on the fact that His story should break my heart and through that brokenness I will see that very thing in someone else.  I want His story written on my heart as a reminder of who I should strive to be during this fleeting time I have on this earth.   

Prayer for the Day: Jesus, I want Your story written on and in my heart.  To many times I get caught up in the things going on in the world and I neglect to look at the people in front of me who are hurting, lonely and in need of a Savior.  When I stray away from You please remind me of Your story.  Bring to mind the suffering of You on behalf of others.  Help me to be more like You.  
    

Scripture: “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.  For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.  Matthew 5:43-48

No comments:

Post a Comment