Tuesday, July 23, 2013


Become a Leader
Each of us may be sure that if God sends us on stony paths He will provide us with strong shoes, and He will not send us out on any journey for which He does not equip us well. Alexander MacLaren

When I was in high school I was selected as a Senior Co-Captain of our marching squad.  Our group performed at half time at every football game and we attended all the basketball games to cheer for our team. 
Being selected as a Co-Captain was a big responsibility.  Each Co-Captain was assigned a group of 50 to 60 young women to lead and we had around 200 girls.  Our responsibility was to train our group each week to learn the whistle commands so that as a cohesive group we could march in a synchronized fashion when the whole group marched together.  We taught discipline to our group.  If you chewed gum or if you were late you got demerits.  As a co-captain we were expected to lead by example.

It was a scary feeling to know that you were expected to teach these young women and the worst part was I really didn’t think I was qualified.  I was extremely shy and I didn’t like conflict and leading others means there will be confrontations and conflict.  That comes with leadership.  I mean I had never led anyone so why did I think I could lead 60 young women and teach them plus make them listen.
I was shaking in my shoes on that first summer day when we started practicing.  We would arrive at the school parking lot at 7:00am, 5 days a week, to practice before school started in the fall.  We were expected to motivate our group to yell the loudest, perform the best and do it in front of 150 other young women. 

I look back many years later in amazement.  God wants each of us to be a leader for Him.  He wants us to motivate, encourage, inspire and above all love those around us.  We can’t do that if we never step out in faith.  Back then my thoughts were not so much on faith as it was on fear of failure and that was my biggest motivation.  My life now is different.  I depend on God daily to help me make the right decisions, not based on fear, but based on my love for Him.
If I could take 60 young women and teach them to be part of a group how much more can I accomplish with God in my corner.  My strength through Him can do amazing things for the Kingdom of God, but I must step out in faith knowing that He is the ultimate strength. We are in the most important battle of our lives and we need others to step out in faith and say, “Here am I Father, send me.”  

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, You give me strength to face challenges every day.  I praise You for those long ago days where I was learning the responsibility of leadership.  That training ground has given me the strength to step out in faith.  I am forever grateful to You for Your patience with a shy young girl who didn’t realize she could be a leader.     
Scripture: “Then one of the seraphim flew to me, having in his hand a live coal which he had taken with the tongs from the altar.  And he touched my mouth with it, and said:  “Behold, this has touched your lips; your iniquity is taken away, and your sin purged.”  Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?” Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”  Isaiah 6:6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment