Thursday, July 25, 2013


Missed Opportunities
Cast off all bonds of prejudice and custom, and let the love of Christ, which is in you, have free course to run out in all conceivable schemes and methods of labor for the souls of men. Catherine Booth

Last weekend my Mom, Dad and I went to lunch.  As we sat down at a table to wait for our food, I looked over and saw a woman who was going through cancer treatments.  How did I know that?  First, since I am a cancer survivor, my eyes are always open to connecting with other survivors.  I like to think that it is the Holy Spirit working in me because sometimes it is just a feeling I have and nothing more. 
In this case the woman had no eyelashes or eyebrows, the effects of chemo, and I could tell she had on a wig.  I turned to my Mom and said “that is a cancer survivor”.  My Mom asked me who I was looking at.  I showed her and she agreed.  Since my Mom had candles in their car and since we give all cancer survivors candles, she told me I could run out and get one to give to her.  I moved to get out of my chair but something stopped me.  There are times when the feeling I get is that this person will be receptive to my approach and at other times the feeling is that the person will not be receptive.  This woman looked defeated by her circumstances. 

Before I could act the woman and the person she was sitting with got up and walked by our table and left.  I missed an opportunity.  These types of circumstances happen to us all the time at farmers markets.  I call it my cancer radar. 
If you have ever been around cancer patients for any length of time, there are certain characteristics that stand out.  There are those who look at their cancer as a reason to blame others for their circumstance and some will even blame God. Then there are the ones who understand that illness happens to all of us so they don’t place blame on anyone.   

Each of us comes into contact with people every day who need a Savior.  How we handle it could make the difference in that person coming to know Jesus or not.  We have to make the first move. 
Several years ago I read a book by Bill Hybels called “Just Walk Across the Room”.  In the book he gives simple steps each of us can take to point others to Christ.  What it taught me was that I must take that first step to cross the room and engage someone in the conversation.  It also taught me to listen to that small voice, the Holy Spirit’s promptings.  I also learned that the way I tell my story can be the difference between pointing someone to Christ or turning them away from Him. 

Every individual has a story to tell.  Our most important responsibility on this earth is to help others to know Jesus.  If we never get out of our comfort zone and walk across the room and engage, we will never reach our God given potential.         
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I had an opportunity to touch someone’s life for You and I missed it.  The majority of the time when that happens, it is because I fear rejection.  You tell me that I should fear nothing for You are with me, but old habits die hard. Help me to not allow fear to stop me from touching someone’s life for You.  It is the most important job of my life and I don’t want to blow it.     

Scripture:    So when they saw Him, they were amazed; and His mother said to Him, “Son, why have You done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought You anxiously.”  And He said to them, “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?” But they did not understand the statement which He spoke to them.  Luke 2:48-50

No comments:

Post a Comment